fuel system on SE piston airplanes

Well here is my thought, and by no means am i sure if i am right in this... ;)

Switch tank procedure:
1. Make sure to start timer (e.g count down on transponder) - Risk for complacency.
2. Make sure to have enough altitude when switching tank, in case not enough altitude defer switching tank to later time, that means there is risk of forgetting to do this.
3. Make sure to have somewhere to land within glide distance when switching tank, in case you don't defer switching tank to later time, that means there is risk of forgetting to do this.

It isn't that complicated. I wouldn't change tanks at 500', but how often are you cruising that low?

If you forget to switch tanks, you are going to notice in less than 30 minutes, as the trim will start to be noticeably off. The "reminder" of the plane banking for you only gets stronger as time passes.

Also, I don't understand the fear of running a tank dry. I mean, no one seems to have this fear of running a tank dry when they only have a "both" selector. If you do somehow manage to run a tank dry with a left/right switch, you at least know that there is fuel in the other tank, and the engine will restart in a few seconds.

It isn't that complicated. I wouldn't change tanks at 500', but how often are you cruising that low?

If you forget to switch tanks, you are going to notice in less than 30 minutes, as the trim will start to be noticeably off. The "reminder" of the plane banking for you only gets stronger as time passes.

Also, I don't understand the fear of running a tank dry. I mean, no one seems to have this fear of running a tank dry when they only have a "both" selector. If you do somehow manage to run a tank dry with a left/right switch, you at least know that there is fuel in the other tank, and the engine will restart in a few seconds.
I, as a matter of practice run my right tank dry on every flight over 3 hours. It's a non issue. I also cruise at or below 500' often. It restarts the very second you move the switch. We did it on the outboards on the pa31s also. Though you got a light right before they started surging.
Having a piston motor momentarily lose power should not be a heart racing event.

The way I thought Pipers was the "watch method"...if the minute hand is on the right side 01-30, then right tank. for 31-00, on the left tank.

Easy, Peasy, Lemon squeezy

The way I thought Pipers was the "watch method"...if the minute hand is on the right side 01-30, then right tank. for 31-00, on the left tank.

Easy, Peasy, Lemon squeezy

I should probably do this. All three of the Pipers I've been flying have a reminder programmed into the 430. It'll make me lazy, and then one day I'll run one dry because I forgot to switch tanks.

Agreed the OP is making a mountain out of this. Taxi, take off, climb - top of climb = switch tanks. Cruise, monitor fuel burn.
Top of descent = switch tanks, descend, approach and land. Job done.

Bp244

FL to NC or TX, yes you'll probably so that trip regularly. AZ is another story, that's a long trip from FL in a PA32. Trust me, I've ferried a PA32 from NorCal to S Florida and Texas to S FL was a longer trip than most would do for a weekend getaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back