FS2004?

For those of you that have played FS2004 i was just wondering if the atc uses SIDs or STARs or if they just vector you straight to the runway like fs2002 does.

Meljet's 747's flight dynamics are all messed up! I have found that they only burn 1,000 gallons of fuel per hour at cruising speed and altitude.
crazy.gif
That would mean they could fly for an unrealistic 54 hours, or so!!
smirk.gif
Also, the landing gear is way to big on them!!

I do have to say.....Project Opensky 777's suck over Meljets. But I can't see what is wrong with their CRJ's! How can you not like the CRJ's, Snow?
confused.gif

hey,
If anyone is first to locate a 'No-CD' patch so I can run this thing without CD4 being in the tray, that'd be great to share.
DeanR

I can't get any of the download links to send me a complete RAR archive. Could you perhaps PM me about another link. And yes, I do have a legitamate copy, just paid $58.00 for it at Best Buys today, but i get a $10.00 rebate since I own FS 2002. Woo-hoo. :)

I'd say your graphics card will affect things more than your CPU as far as frame rates go, I've found faster cpus only reduce the load times. I'd recommend at least 256meg of ram though. Here's a trick, turn the colors from 32 to 16bit, you can hardly tell the difference and it improves the frame rate dramaticly. Also get the latest versions of drivers for your graphics card and plus you need directx 9 to run 2004.

With my Geforce2 MX400 32meg I can run 1280x960 with most of the sliders fairly high and consitently get 25fps. Plus it looks really sweet on my new 21in monitor, big change for me coming from a 15in, the guages almost look life size. (PS that's for 2002, don't have 2004 yet but I assume it will be simular)

[ QUOTE ]
How can you not like the CRJ's, Snow?

[/ QUOTE ]

well the sound package I downloaded for it was looped really badly, the panel was nice but the plane is WAY too sensitive, granted I've never flown a real CRJ before but I would think the handling charteristics would be closer to the learjet than the 300S !

I'm getting about the same fps in 2004 that I got in 2002 (locked at 25 fps), until you start getting into the new 3D clouds. They look great, but the fps drops to around 8 or 9. If you are an aviation history nut, this thing has a TON of stuff, though. And it was nice to request an NDB approach instead of being stuck with an ILS after I filed my IFR in the air.

prospective pilot,

Thanks. I definitely paid for the flight sim, as I have for years. I realized with some research that there are entire web sites devoted to this topic of CD's, copyrighting, and security, etc...

All I ask is that I can use FS and also use my CDROM for something else, like playing music. I think the FS requirements on the box should have read "One dedicated CDROM Device" if this is how MS is going to address copyrighting..

By the by, WalMart has FS2004 for $49.77, a bundled package with a cool little toy Wright Flyer. There's also a $10 rebate for FS2002 owners, so that makes it $39.95, effectively.

And it's pretty anemic on my machine. I think I'll stick with X-Plane 7 for a little while til I get the laptop I'm presently shopping for.

[ QUOTE ]
Performance pireps for anyone running FS2004 on a PIII appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im doing as well or better in some ways with 2004. I have a PIII 800, XP, GeForce 4 Ti4400 128mb, & 512 MB Ram. You cant be greedy on the settings, but in general you can use the same level of settings as in 2002 and still see a increase in quality.

Also the Garmin 500 addition to 2004 works like a charm so now you can practice GPS approaches.
Circuit City has it for $54 and you get a $10 credit there as well as the $10 MS rebate.

I'm looking for other alternatives to run FS2004 with out the CD......if anyone has found one please let me know other wise once I know of one I'll post it on here......

I just bought it today, and so far I have been very pleased: better graphics, ATC has improved, weather has improved, new aircraft, etc.

As of now, I would definately say it is worth the money.
grin.gif

I don't know how worth the $50.00 this program is. if you already have the last one, i don't see many improvements. The much ballyhooed ATC improvements really don't come through in my opinion. Case in point, when you start a flight and are sitting on the runway, you still have to get a taxi clearance to the runway. Don't they know you are ON the runway already?? Also, when getting close to the start of an approach, the ATC will keep giving you a vector that turns you about 45 degrees. For example, Cessna 12345 turn heading 315 degrees. Then they turn you back to 270, then back to 315, etc about 5-6 times. How about just giving me 295 and leaving me there. And the weather graphics look very cartoonish on my Athlon 2600 with Geforce 4 Ti 4200 at 1280 X 1024 in all color depths. The ability to ask for different approaches is nice, but it is still very clunky, and ATC talks TOO damn slow. Enough for now. I am sure when 2006 comes out, I will purchase that as well. Stupid me.
smirk.gif

"Case in point, when you start a flight and are sitting on the runway, you still have to get a taxi clearance to the runway."

Don't start the damn flight on the runway, jeez!
grin.gif

Yeah.. ATC was pretty poor in FS2002.. I would imagine it'd be atleast a little better in 2004 though, can't see how much worse it could get.

Believe it or not, some of us poor, pathetic sould are still playing with FS95. All of these screenshots and this talk of ATC simply amazes me. It almost makes me want to drop $2,000 on a gaming machine to play it. Almost (gotta feed the logbook).

Can't you get FS98? Yikes!

FS98 was good stuff... Better than FS2000 imho.

A huge community really grew around it...

Yeah, FS2000 was pretty bad. Wasted money, IMHO; I shelved it in favor of Fly! 2000--a much better sim--shortly after I bought it. Fly!'s "executive producer" Richard Harvey died of some form of cancer last year (he was in his early 30's), very sad; he turned out a great sim, which probably died with him.

Back