From Todays Accident / Incident Reports - A strange one

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:26-APR-2022
Time:07:16
Type:
Silhouette image of generic B06 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Bell 206B JetRanger II
Owner/operator:Costal Helicopters Inc
MSN:2872
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Manoeuvring (airshow, firefighting, ag.ops.)
Nature:Agricultural
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
Confidence Rating:
3.gif
Information is only available from news or social media reports
Narrative:
The helicopter crashed under unknown circumstances during an aerial application flight in Lake Apopka, Florida.
The sole pilot onboard received minor injuries.

A second helicopter was located during the recovery of this one.

That looks like a typo, maybe the second helicopter was "relocated" and the guy finished spraying the field. Crop dusting is, other than combat, probably the hairiest way to make money with an aviation appliance. I have some stories that an old friend who'd been actively doing it for 40 years told me. I don't know how it is now but it sounded like the Wild West back then. He wanted me to come out and go to work for him in South Dakota, at the time I had an A/P and a PPL, with a promise to fly ag. I thought about it, did a little research and decided that I'd probably end up wrenching and declined. One of those things I look back on and wonder "What if?", but I don't have a magic crystal ball to tell me so I just figure things worked out the way they were supposed to.

That looks like a typo, maybe the second helicopter was "relocated" and the guy finished spraying the field. Crop dusting is, other than combat, probably the hairiest way to make money with an aviation appliance. I have some stories that an old friend who'd been actively doing it for 40 years told me. I don't know how it is now but it sounded like the Wild West back then. He wanted me to come out and go to work for him in South Dakota, at the time I had an A/P and a PPL, with a promise to fly ag. I thought about it, did a little research and decided that I'd probably end up wrenching and declined. One of those things I look back on and wonder "What if?", but I don't have a magic crystal ball to tell me so I just figure things worked out the way they were supposed to.

Ahh, nope.

Looks like it was the same company.

Date:26-APR-2022
Time:
Type:Helicopter
Owner/operator:Coastal Helicopters Inc
MSN:
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Unknown
Nature:Unknown
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
Confidence Rating:
3.gif
Information is only available from news or social media reports
Narrative:
The helicopter crashed in Lake Apopka after the earlier crash on the same day (check source).

Back