Freight Pilot Schedule?

Go out and try to find regional pilots that get to fly one leg, sleep in a hotel room, wake up and fly a leg.

Ah, the highspeed group. One reason I prefer to fly highspeeds. It is very similar to my previous schedule and I really enjoy that kind of schedule.

My schedule is pretty easy. Mon-Thurs show at 1830, fly one leg. sleep five hours and fly back usually arriving around 0730 in the morning. It's the easiest run I've had.

I forgot to mention that my run always goes from Monday through Friday with weekends and most federal holidays off. I am also home every night and have the morning free to get things done, or just sleep in. Good luck finding a schedule like that at a regional.

I fly 121 freight. M-F 2040-until we get back, which is usually 0630. Get holidays off and around 7 weeks vacation. Pay is ok, upgrade is fairly typical.
When I flew 135 I flew M-F with holidays. It was fairly consistent. Good stuff.

7 weeks! That's awesome! Do you need a lot of seniority where you work to get that or is that pretty standard?

7 weeks! That's awesome! Do you need a lot of seniority where you work to get that or is that pretty standard?
Thats first year. Next year I'll get 8 and max out at 11 for an FO. Captains with 5 years in the company get 17 weeks a year.

Thats first year. Next year I'll get 8 and max out at 11 for an FO. Captains with 5 years in the company get 17 weeks a year.

Holy crap. 5 year captains get over 4 MONTHS of vacation per year? That is incredible.

What's a 5 year captain make where you're at?

Holy crap. 5 year captains get over 4 MONTHS of vacation per year? That is incredible.

What's a 5 year captain make where you're at?

If you go off the straight 5 year scale its $51980. Not great but when you take into account the vacation, being home, 401k, and the routes it can't be beat.

If you go off the straight 5 year scale its $51980. Not great but when you take into account the vacation, being home, 401k, and the routes it can't be beat.
No kidding... 52K isn't bad at all for working 8 months a year on a 5 and 2. That's really 78K on an annualized basis.

I sure hope some of the kiddies out there are hitting you up for recs.

But but but...you won't be making a lot of money in 20 years from now where you are. Who would ever want to fly that little turbo prop anyways!:sarcasm::)

But but but...you won't be making a lot of money in 20 years from now where you are. Who would ever want to fly that little turbo prop anyways!:sarcasm::)

I know, I know...I've resigned myself to being only 75% of a pilot.

Nice!
I just got back into YOW. I've been in BDL this whole time.

Awesome, that breakfast was way good and I was kinda scared about the level of service they were providing.. Apparently that lady hasn't gotten to know us yet...

My run departs at 130p and lands back home at 630pm, home everynight, get to sleep in every morning. I like it.

I do 18 days on and 12 days off. During the 18 days on I can be sent anywhere the company sees fit or sit at home on call.

My company flies a mix of nn-demand and contract work.

One contract you sit more than you fly and make good per diem.
On another contract you will fly 6-8 hrs a day have 12-16 hr duty days. Quite, Fun but you get pretty beatup after 18 days of it.
The rest is on-demand and that is feast or famine. It is mostly famine right now but the tide is turning I think.

Jesus. 17 WEEKS a year? That's like being a frickin teacher. You are wise in the way of the Force, baj. I can't believe they don't trumpet that on the front page of the (edit: Your employer) website! That Captain pay is pretty similar to what a lot of freight guys pull down on turboprops with 1 week off a year, and you can quite comfortably on it if you're not a yuppie swine. Sign me up!

Back