Freelancing and insurance

pavelump

I'm pretty sure there are some freelancers out there.

I have a friend who owns an aiplane (C-152) that he has offered to rent to me for freelance instruction. Well, actually he would rent the plane to the student, and I would charge the student for my instruction, keeping 100% of that.

What do I need to do as far as insurance is concerned? Does the owner's insurance cover the operation? Do I as the instructor need to get special insurance? Does the student need insurance? I'm guessing the answers are No, Yes, and Yes.

When I did my private in the same airplane, I never bought insurance (I wasn't renting it though). Ignorance unfortunately is no excuse, so I got lucky.

For that matter, what sort of insurance does/should and instructor carry if he/she is working at an FBO?

I have a feeling that when I bring up the fact that he would have to do 100 hr. inspections, he might not be so hip to the idea.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
What do I need to do as far as insurance is concerned? Does the owner's insurance cover the operation? Do I as the instructor need to get special insurance? Does the student need insurance? I'm guessing the answers are No, Yes, and Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct- No, Yes, Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
For that matter, what sort of insurance does/should and instructor carry if he/she is working at an FBO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends- I am 100% covered at the FBO I work at when giving instruction. On the few occasions that I rent one of the airplanes, however, I am financially responsible for loss of use and/or deductible not to exceed $5000. Figure that one out...
crazy.gif

I'm doing a similar thing with my 152. I have commercial/rental insurance, liability only. I haven't seen the policy yet, but assume that only me, the hanger owner, and the airport are named insured on the policy. I'll know exactly when I get a chance to read the policy.

I'm requiring the student to have 10K's worth of renter's insurance to partially cover the hull...I'll self insure the rest. There is CFI insurance that you could get if you are worried about liability but if you're a typical poor, low time, CFI,...well, there isn't much to come after if you know what I mean.

"Does the owner's insurance cover the operation?"

I assume the owner knows he'll need to get commercial/rental coverage, which will run about 2K for liability only and 5K for full coverage on a 23K airplane.

"I have a feeling that when I bring up the fact that he would have to do 100 hr. inspections, he might not be so hip to the idea."

Actually, if the owner rents the plane to the student and you sub-contract yourself to the student without a relationship to the owner, you might not have to do 100 hour inspections. Don't ask me to prove it, as it's in the interpretation of the reg. I'll see if I can reference it at the part 61 FAQ's site.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, if the owner rents the plane to the student and you sub-contract yourself to the student without a relationship to the owner, you might not have to do 100 hour inspections.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought "No way" but I looked it up in Jepp's FAR's Explained and what do you know...

[ QUOTE ]
If a person provides his/her own aircraft when receiving flight instruction that is being given for hire, the aircraft is not required to have a 100 hour inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked up part 91.409 and it clearly say's you only have to do 100 hours if you "provide the airplane". So, you have relief from 100 hours if the student provides the airplane.

I think 100 hours are a great way to catch problems early and address them before they get to be too expensive, but, under the right circumstances, it's nice to know you don't have to be bound by the reg.

Depending on how much the airplane flies, 50-hr inspections aren't a bad idea either. We do them at the FBO where I work, and I recently found out why...

If we hadn't, we would have had a catastrophic engine failure in our 182RG before the next 100-hr came around. On the 50-hr. inspection, they found some metal flakes in the oil filter. Further investigation revealed CHUNKS of metal in the oil suction screen. They started pulling cylinders, and found a 2 inch long by 3/4 inch wide chunk out of the #4 piston. Undoubtedly it would have spread to the wristpin area soon, and that would have been bad news. Scary stuff, thanks to the boss for requiring 50-hr inspections- it may have saved my life and/or others'.
shocked.gif

Back