Freelance CFI Advice needed.

crazyjeep

Hey, I am calling out you freelance CFI's, or folks who dabbled in it for a period.

I am a newer CFI who has had a hard time finding work in the Detroit area. I might have a job working for a local FBO, but I can't live on what ifs. I have access to a 172 and a cherokee, 100$ an hour...

Any advice for a green CFI trying to go independent? Any suggestions on where to find new students? Words of wisdom? Ahead of time, I thank you for your advice. Safe flying.

A great book that speaks to some of your question is 'The Savvy Flight Instructor' by Greg Brown. Great book.

Oh, and make sure you have CFI insurance.

Hey, I am calling out you freelance CFI's, or folks who dabbled in it for a period.

I am a newer CFI who has had a hard time finding work in the Detroit area. I might have a job working for a local FBO, but I can't live on what ifs. I have access to a 172 and a cherokee, 100$ an hour...

Any advice for a green CFI trying to go independent? Any suggestions on where to find new students? Words of wisdom? Ahead of time, I thank you for your advice. Safe flying.

Make yourself a website and promote it. It works for me, Google is your best freind when it comes to students.

The best advertisement is word of mouth. Spend all the money you want, it won't mean a lick if you're a d-bag. Once word gets around that you know what you're doing you'll be busy. Good instructors stay busy and thats the bottom line.

Of course I also have a magnet on the back of my truck so I can write it off at the end of the year. :D

I'd get in with the local FBO. As esa said, if you're not a d-bag, word will get around and you'll pick up. Only after gaining experience would I promote myself as an indie.

+1 on Greg Brown's book. It has a lot of good common sense advice.

Back