Founder and president of both Aviation Safety Training and Texas Air Aces crashed and died

IPad (10)

The guy you see on Dwings and in Magazines all the time crashed and died
frown.gif
A buddy just mailed it too me so I'm sorry if I didn't cite the writer because I dont' know who it is.

''Don Wylie, the 64-year-old founder and president of both Aviation Safety Training and Texas Air Aces, and his passenger, 39-year-old Airborne Express pilot William Eisenhauer, died yesterday morning when their Beech T-34 reportedly lost its right wing during upset recovery training in VMC near Conroe, Texas. AST's Rick Gillenwaters told AIN Alerts today that, contrary to earlier reports, there was no collision with another AST T-34 that was accompanying Wylie's airplane. Witnesses in that airplane, which returned safely to base, said they saw the right wing of Wylie's airplane fail cleanly at the root, according to Gillenwaters. The airplane, N44KK, was the same T-34 in which AIN contributor Rob Mark flew with Wylie in the course of preparing the article on upset training that appears in the current issue of AIN. A 1999 crash in Georgia in which a wing separated from a T-34 during simulated combat was attributed to stress-related cracks in the wing spar, according to the NTSB, a weakness that led to the grounding of T-34s used for such flying pending modifications. Gillenwaters said that N44KK was one of the AST airplanes that had not yet been modified with strengthened wing spars, but it had been inspected and deemed fit for upset recovery training pending modifications, which had been scheduled to be incorporated in 60 days or so. Texas Air Aces conducts simulated combat flights; Aviation Safety Training teaches experienced private, corporate and airline pilots how to recover from aircraft upsets.''

Mr. Eisenhauer was from my hometown of Centerville, OH. One of his boys attends the high school that I graduated from. From what I hear he was a great guy and will be sorely missed in our community.

Article

Back