Former DUATS 1800Wxbrief app??

What was the competitor to DUATS back in the day. I seem to remember another one, but can't recall the name from cob webs

Well, I know it does give you tons of information - that I don't need all the time. I downloaded the app, but again, setting it up I find it not user friendly. Learning curve is not flat.
I just use the website on all devices. I haven’t tried an app yet.

Wasn’t there DUAT.com and DUATS.com?

Yup. One was CPC and the other was DTS. Both were the original DUAT contractors. I never liked the CPC site or later, their app, which had some "bloat". The DTS app, OTOH, was extremely "slim" and did exactly what you wanted it to do...brief, file and save both for off-line viewing. It had a rudimentary flight planner, which was good enough for a WAG.

As far as I can tell, Leidos doesn't have an App, just a mobile site.

Yup. One was CPC and the other was DTS. Both were the original DUAT contractors. I never liked the CPC site or later, their app, which had some "bloat". The DTS app, OTOH, was extremely "slim" and did exactly what you wanted it to do...brief, file and save both for off-line viewing. It had a rudimentary flight planner, which was good enough for a WAG.

As far as I can tell, Leidos doesn't have an App, just a mobile site.
One of those sites had a RNAV flight planning tool that would give you the fixes to go direct between whatever points you told it. Came in really handy during my freightdog days when I’d get an airplane that didn’t have a gps in it.

Plus One for AeroWeather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been using AeroWeather Pro for about a decade; quick and easy way to get a quick glance at METARs, TAFs, NOTAMs, and other things like US ATC delays or crosswind components.

I’ve also been using ATIS App for the past year, which is free and lets you look up digital ATISs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I usually brief with Leidos, but I file and do an update brief with Garmin Pilot just prior to departure.

I do, on rare occasions, still do a voice brief with Leidos. They try to do a good job, and are honestly happy that you called. But I think the writing is on the wall for Flight Service. They've peeled off the ATC component (clearance delivery) by handing it off to ATC facilities, and I can see a point in the near future where they simply shutter it and transfer whatever remaining requirements to a specialized located at a Center facility (RCO monitoring, airborne filing, enroute wx, etc).

The clearance delivery part really blew when Lockheed (later Leidos took over). Sure, the national clearance delivery number was an awesome idea, but it stank in execution. You always seemed to wind up on some three way call, which you could have done yourself just as easily if you'd had the number....which is how it works now. That said, when calling the facility directly first rolled out, THAT was just as problematic. About half the time you wound up talking to some rando in the facility who had no idea who you are or what you wanted, and you wound up getting transferred to 3 people before you could get your clearance. X2 if you had to call back for release.

Back