Former controller, lost medical, would like to fly still.

eqfan592

I'll try to keep this short without cutting out anything critical. I was an air traffic controller until 2018. I lost my medical in 2016 after developing a neurological issue, and in 2018 it was determined that my condition was chronic and I would not be able to ever again hold a class 2 medical. I'm on disability now as my condition has worsened. My condition includes partial loss of sensation on the entire right side of my body, tremor (only triggered when tightening certain muscles), pain (especially in my legs but often across my whole body), and occasional vertigo. The vertigo seemed to be the biggest hangup for the FAA in terms of my medical, but over time I've learned what tends to trigger it and how to avoid it.

My condition has left me unable to work in any reasonable manner (hence the disability), but I would absolutely love to fly. I know a class 2 medical is beyond reach, but is there any chance at all of my obtaining a class 3 so that I might obtain a private pilots license?

As for my condition, I've yet to receive a final diagnosis. Currently it's narrowed down between fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis.

Thanks a ton for your time, and please let me know if there's any further information you might need for a response.

I'd point you towards sport flying where you self certify but I believe if you've been denied by the FAA then that won't work. If you just want to fly for fun get involved with a local EAA chapter and offer to pay for gas to go on joy rides.

is there any chance at all of my obtaining a class 3 so that I might obtain a private pilots license?
You need to speak with a consulting AME if you want to know if your condition allows any type of FAA medical certificate. They will review the specifics and, if there is a way, advise your in the best path.

I know a few folks that have lost their medical and still fly ... with somebody else acting as PIC.
I know a few folks who never had a medical - or a pilot certificate - and still fly. But they're on the double secret probation program and live in the sticks.

I know quite a few folks that meet that description. A number of which refused to register their two-seat ultralights and obtain a cert.
Registration?!? Where we're going... wedonneenostinkinregistration.

With the advancements in carbon fibre manufacturing and CAD design the Part 103 legal ultralights have came a long way. They are a little pricey though. You would be surprised how big a modern ultralight can be with the 254lb weight limit. There are also the tried and true ultralights like the Legal Eagle that can be built or bought used for 3-6k.

With the advancements in carbon fibre manufacturing and CAD design the Part 103 legal ultralights have came a long way. They are a little pricey though. You would be surprised how big a modern ultralight can be with the 254lb weight limit. There are also the tried and true ultralights like the Legal Eagle that can be built or bought used for 3-6k.
Yes, been looking at ultralights a lot since I made this post as well. In fact I've really developed a fascination with trikes.

Hello eqfan,

If you have lost a second class medical you will need to show the FAA through physician reports (most likely your neurologist) that your condition has improved. After undergoing a physical with an aviation medical examiner your reports would be sent to the FAA in Oklahoma for a decision. The FAA would use the same criteria that they used when making a determination on your 2nd class.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back