Foresight (where to go from there?)

lilrkt,

One thing that seems to be barely touched on here is the number of hours in a day. I work for Airnet and I would say the average duty day of our prop runs is in the 10 - 12 hour range with usually 5-6 hours of actual block time per night. This might not seem like alot however, it is all single pilot operations and come sunrise at the end of an 11 hour day on your last of 5 or 6 legs with approaches down to mins on each a bad night, the last thing you are going to want to think about is going to class or doing homework. I can personal vouch for the fact that it is plain miserable to be fighting the nods at the end of the night. It is imperative that you get your sleep when flying single pilot, night cargo. The temptation is always there to try to burn the candle at both ends but those who do usually eventually get caught in the middle.

You might consider getting your ratings through CFI as quickly as possible and start teaching part time while you still have an income to support yourself and you family. Once you have you ratings, you could then focus on getting your degree and still instruct to build hours. By the time you have both your ratings and degree, you should have enough hours, and the degree, to be competitive in an interview for the next level of your aviation career. Good luck.

Be well and fly safe.
Eas

Mark,

You have plenty of time. You can't even fly single pilot cargo or any 135 PIC stuff until you have the 135 mins(1200TT, 500XC....etc.). Your plan is good, you'll have to teach for a while anyway to reach the mins or whatever flight time you can get hired at. That is unless you happen to have all those hours already as a private pilot. Good luck to ya, hope this helps.

Jonnyb

In my opinion, if you are not enrolled in a college that offers an aviation/degree program, you should probably go for your degree first. I chose this route because, I realized the importance of the recency of your flight training. As we know, things change from year to year, so you want to keep those flying skills at least up to par with your competition. Also, if you are trying to do both at once, or work on a degree while you actually are employed as a pilot, your study time is going to take away from your desired lifestyle. Besides flying careers have crazy schedules not many colleges will work with you.)

Back