Foreign Student Questions

ERJ

Hi,
I just have a couple of questions regarding Foreign students @ USA/Delta connection Academy.

Is there a minimum age to apply?
Do I only need a high school diploma?
and finnaly,
Can i work in the US after my trainning as a pilot (instructor,regional)?

Thank you very much
smile.gif
<font color="black"> </font>

Yes you need a diploma, not sure about the age, and depending on which program you go through FAA/JAA you can work in the us

Usually, if you are on a J-1 Visa, you can work for up to one year as a Flight Instuctor. This is assuming you have a year left on the two year Visa.

The International Admissions Office can be reached at: 0080052210480
This is toll free from most of Europe. Ask for Chris McShea, he will be happy to help you.

Don't be mislead by the last two posts. I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that you could have a career as a pilot (regional or otherwise) in the USA just because you get your training at DCA. I believe that is what you are asking? While you might be able to live and work in the USA for a short period of time, no regional is going to hire you unless you have the right to live and work in the USA on a permanent basis. (Well, Gulfstream might hire you for 250 hours)

Unlike DCA's misleading ads about being the only flight school servicing the Delta regionals with pilots...I haven't seen them say they can sell green cards...YET.

I know for a fact you can work as a flight instructor, because my instructor was from France, and wasnt a US citizen.

[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact you can work as a flight instructor, because my instructor was from France, and wasnt a US citizen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but after his Visa is up, he's probably going back to France unless he somehow obtained a Green Card.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be mislead by the last two posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Usually, if you are on a J-1 Visa, you can work for up to one year as a Flight Instuctor. This is assuming you have a year left on the two year Visa.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was I being misleading??

After rereading the first three posts in order, I don't think you are being misleading. Your post is very specific. However, I think the first poster wants to know if he were to attend DCA, could he have a career as a pilot in the US? The answer is no, unless he could somehow get a green card. Your answer to him is correct but leaves out the answer to what I think his question really is.

What do you think a DCA recruiter will say to this guy? What if he doesn't know the different between a visa and a pitot tube? I'm not saying I have all the answers but I don't want him to be mislead into thinking if you just go to DCA, you can be a pilot in the USA? That's what I was worried about when I read the first three posts....

Thank you very much for the quick responses.
I just wanted to know if I could work in the US after my trainning with DCA..
I guess the answer is no without the green card,
thanks!
btw, I'm in canada.

Does this include students from DCA? So, if I go through the "jet direct" program and end up in a CRJ, I still need a degree to be hired by Delta and to fly lets say an 737?

[ QUOTE ]
Does this include students from DCA? So, if I go through the "jet direct" program and end up in a CRJ, I still need a degree to be hired by Delta and to fly lets say an 737

[/ QUOTE ]

yep you still need a degree.

Delta (mainline) doesnt give a rats a** about DCA or any other flight school they just care about your ratings and experience.

[ QUOTE ]

yep you still need a degree.

Delta (mainline) doesnt give a rats a** about DCA or any other flight school they just care about your ratings and experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thanks. Do I hvae to have a degree within aviation, or could it pretty much be anything? Like computer science? =)

I'm trying to find out where I'm at, and what I need (besides a bunch of money!!)

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, thanks. Do I hvae to have a degree within aviation, or could it pretty much be anything? Like computer science? =)

I'm trying to find out where I'm at, and what I need

[/ QUOTE ]

the degree can be in anything. as long as it is a Bachelors. the airlines are mainly looking at the degree as a way of determining if a person is driven to accomplish something. It is also wise to get a degree in something else you are interested in (I'm working on Hotel Management) just in case the airline gig doesnt pan out (furloughs, medical stuff, damn terrorists).

I take it from your posts that you are new to exploring aviation as a career. Well you've come to the right place. In searching for the right path to use to acheive your goal just make sure to explore all your options, there are many many different methods people use to acheive their goal. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Yes indeed flying is not a poor mans game either. The prices at places you train varies greatly from $24,000 at one place to $100,000 at another.

Again, thanks alot! I will certainly PM you.
I've been researching my opportuneties within aviation for some time now, and the more i read, the more comfused I seem to get.
DCA was recommended to me because of the great chances(?) of getting inside an CRJ and log jet hours as soon as possible after the education.

I have so many questions, so I'll come back to you, if that's allright?

If your from Norway, how to you plan to solve the little problem of not being able to work/live in the US? Don't put the cart before the horse. That's an American saying that means don't think too far ahead. Before you think about working for Delta you gotta figure out how to be a resident of the USA. Not trying to be mean or anything....

Oslo rocks. I used to have layovers there and we stayed at the Grand Hotel.

[ QUOTE ]
If your from Norway, how to you plan to solve the little problem of not being able to work/live in the US? Don't put the cart before the horse. That's an American saying that means don't think too far ahead. Before you think about working for Delta you gotta figure out how to be a resident of the USA. Not trying to be mean or anything....

Oslo rocks. I used to have layovers there and we stayed at the Grand Hotel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, I DO worry about getting my "green", but my mother living in St.Louis with a permanent residentcy among with my babysister, what should help me out a little.
But at thyis point , the waitinglist for people in my "class (based on family reunion)" is about 4 years. So, I'm trying to figure out how to speed this process up.
It's typically me to plan far ahead. I have to be sure how things are going to be like, because of a bigass bankloan I'll have to sign up for etc.
Yeah, Oslo is great. Like it there, but I'll go for Florida anytime!
Thanks for the intrest anyway. I do need some good advice along my path of becoming an airline pilot.

Sounds like you know more about it than I do. Had no idea one could get a green card after only waiting a certain period. You could come over and get married...that would speed up the process....

My friend who is furloughed from Delta married a gal from Trondhiem (spelling). The Norweigens made fun of him for wearing long underwear...which cracked me up.

Back