Foreclosure ....????? ......

BS!!!!!!!!!

Actually I would agree with that. So do insurance companies. My insurance rate is based partly on my credit.

Do you want someone who works for your having bad credit? Unable to get a loan? Always in need of money? See where I'm going with this?

Even if there are 1 out of 20 that have bad credit and are honest employees, it's just easier the exclude everyone in that category.

Actually I would agree with that. So do insurance companies. My insurance rate is based partly on my credit.

Do you want someone who works for your having bad credit? Unable to get a loan? Always in need of money? See where I'm going with this?

Even if there are 1 out of 20 that have bad credit and are honest employees, it's just easier the exclude everyone in that category.

It may be easier to weed out folks but it for sure ain't accurate. Substituting a credit profile for something more appropriate like a psych eval is ridiculous.
As an employer why would you be concerned if an employee can get a loan? To finance his own typerating:laff:
Insurance companies:confused: Did you really use them to justify using credit scores to figure out your rate. That sounds responsible:sarcasm:

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I've pretty good credit. In fact it could probably be argued that I benefit from companies using credit as an employment qualification. Of course credit is a statistically significant predictor of employee performance. So is College GPA. But so too, I've little doubt, is elementary school GPA, parents marital status, parents socio/economic status...you get the idea. How much privacy are you willing to sacrifice to get a leg up on the other guy? Try not to sacrifice mine with it. My credit rating is none of any employers business.

:yeahthat:

Are they even able to check your credit legally? That's absurd and NONE of there business!

Yes.

And if you don't authorize it, you won't get the job.

That's the way it works with a lot of employers.

It does make some sense. If you're handling high dollar value items, they want to make sure you're not going to walk out of the place with them.

Yes.

And if you don't authorize it, you won't get the job.

That's the way it works with a lot of employers.

It does make some sense. If you're handling high dollar value items, they want to make sure you're not going to walk out of the place with them.

The irony kils me though! All the airlines on the verge of declaring chapter 13 and they are doing credit checks on their employees!

I've got great credit, but I know some stand up guys that have had to declare bankruptcy due to divorce, FURLOUGH....

A persons financial background has ZERO to do with their ability to fly an aircraft safely.

What are they gonna do...walk out with a FMS? Ridiculous!

Good point. I've been thinking about walking off the job with an airplane, but my good credit-sense has prevented me from doing so.

It's just another way to make you a number in the land of the free and home of the brave. :rolleyes:

For finance jobs it makes sense, as I’m sure that many companies are trying to avoid another Enron scandal from happening, but for pilot jobs...give me a break. But as pointed out, just about anyone is susceptible to experiencing hard times in this economy. One minute you are able to make your payments and then next you are fighting to get a job and make payments. So now you have someone who has been “responsible” paying debt on time, they lose their job, and now they are not worthy for hire because they are going through rough times. The one thing a person needs to get back in the groove (a job) is now becoming difficult to get because they lost their old job and can’t make their debt payments. Catch 22. The sick thing is when car insurance companies base your rate on your credit history. What idiot thought of this one? My credit history has no relevance to my driving ability. What a hot topic.

Yes its legal, If they check it as a condition of your employment you'll sign a waiver authorizing it..... if you want the job that is!!

Good credit is a measure of maturity and responsibility for employers.
..even if the airline checking your credit is in bankruptcy!

Btw mine was checked at my current job, after the conditional job offer.

Oh, God, it's yzf. Hide the good china. Did Lloyd "convince" you to join by threatening to tell about the time with the jello and the 14 year old? No, the other one.

A persons financial background has ZERO to do with their ability to fly an aircraft safely.

You're right, of course. However people with better credit tend to be more punctual, organized, dependable, responsible, etc.

In an interview, most folks are given a chance to explain their background. I personally had a suspended drivers license on my record. I took that time to explain why.

If someone has never had an accident, ticket or even an insurance claim in they're entire 17 years of driving (knock on wood), but has a low credit rating, you think that it is OK for an insurance company to jack his or her rates up for auto insurance?

If someone has never had an accident, ticket or even an insurance claim in they're entire 17 years of driving (knock on wood), but has a low credit rating, you think that it is OK for an insurance company to jack his or her rates up for auto insurance?

You're correlating an individual vs. a group.

From the Insurance Information Institute:
[FONT=arial,geneva][FONT=arial,geneva]Actuarial studies show that how a person manages his or her financial affairs, which is what an insurance score indicates, is a good predictor of insurance claims. Insurance scores are used to help insurers differentiate between lower and higher insurance risks and thus charge a premium equal to the risk they are assuming. Statistically, people who have a poor insurance score are more likely to file a claim. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,geneva][FONT=arial,geneva]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]So while I can't speak for that one individual, as a group it makes sense. It's unfortunate for that one individual, I agree. But there are very, very few of those individuals, at least according to the insurance companies. The other solution is to have everyone pay higher premiums.

What would you prefer? Be rewarded for being responsible, or pay the same as the guy who is more likely to file a claim?

You're correlating an individual vs. a group.

From the Insurance Information Institute:
[FONT=arial,geneva]
[/FONT]So while I can't speak for that one individual, as a group it makes sense. It's unfortunate for that one individual, I agree. But there are very, very few of those individuals, at least according to the insurance companies. The other solution is to have everyone pay higher premiums.

What would you prefer? Be rewarded for being responsible, or pay the same as the guy who is more likely to file a claim?

Uhhhhhh, there is a huge group that falls under that category you claim to be an individual. If you get your information from the Insurance Information Institute I can see why you think there are very, very few of those individuals.

If what you say is correct, then the premiums for those with better scores and less costly insurance will increase, as they have more accidents.

It would be tough to base it only off of someones driving history, because of all the variances in it. Different locations, miles driven, time of day, types of roads, etc.

For example, the person with the impeccable 17 year driving record might drive 2 miles per day at 5 AM and 3 PM on Saturday and Sunday in Montana.

For example, the person with the impeccable 17 year driving record might drive 2 miles per day at 5 AM and 3 PM on Saturday and Sunday in Montana.

That person would still have a much less chance of getting into an accident and/or filing a claim which is the idea:)

haha touche

I don't think your credit score determines your insurance rates, but is a part of it. If someone had great credit but 15 tickets and 5 accidents over the past 3 years I can't see them getting a better rate than someone with no credit, but no tickets/accidents either.

I get a full background check done on a yearly basis...includes a credit check. I work for a bank. If you don't sign the authorization you can wave bye bye to your job. Granted I work in IT and have access to confidential customer info at a bank so I can understand the company doing it's part to protect customer data. It's becoming more and more common.

Back