? for you Air Force guys

FlyingDevil

I fly out of Williams Gateway in Southeastern Phoenix. We get a lot of military traffic. I always notice the T-37's and
T-38's taxing in and shuting down with there spoilers and inner gear doors extended/down. Any particular reason for that.

[ QUOTE ]
I fly out of Williams Gateway in Southeastern Phoenix. We get a lot of military traffic. I always notice the T-37's and
T-38's taxing in and shuting down with there spoilers and inner gear doors extended/down. Any particular reason for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you see a T-38, pay attention to when they taxi out vs when they taxi in, if you get the chance. The inner gear doors are left open for pre-flight inspection , and after startup they automaticlly close once hydraulic pressure comes online. After landing, there's a switch in the front cockpit left console to open the doors (while there's still hydraulic pressure available) so they remain that way prior to shutdown, so the next crew can preflight that area. Spoilers I'm pretty sure are left open too. In pilot training, one of the ways to readily tell if a T-38 on the taxiway was arriving or taxiing for takeoff was noting the position of the inner gear doors. That way, you could tell if it whether or not you'd be cutting them off if you taxiied in front of them for takeoff.

If I remember correctly on the T-37, the inboard doors for the mains were open whenever the gear was down. The T-37 normally didn't leave the ventral speed brake open for preflight, it was just cycled for ops check post start-up.

Edit: I also wanted to add that at Willie, you get both transient ATC T-37B/T-38A traffic as well as the T-38As that come through there getting the modification to T-38C in the Boeing hangar next to the tower.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey MikeD!

I am curious... who is the guy on your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but to be young again!!!!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey MikeD!

I am curious... who is the guy on your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but to be young again!!!!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Rent "How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" and you'll understand

[/ QUOTE ]

He had another guy on his avatar but I guess I will never know now.
frown.gif

Back