For those going to a location they didn't choose...

BadPassportPhoto

So like you guys going to Guam and Alaska I went through a slew of phone calls. Ended up speaking with a Terry Owens who has told me she's spoken to people in the past with this same ordeal and she suggests to do one of 2 things.

1. (Which everyone already knows) Don't go to the PEPC and wait til the next applicant selection process.

2. Go to the PEPC. Fill out all the forms and whatnot so you get it out of the way. A week later call them up and tell them you don't want that location. You can then explain what location you do want and then when the next applicant selection process happens they will see you'd rather be at whatever location and you should get it. Then you're already ahead of the game because you've filled out all the paper work which is good for a year.

The next selection is Septemberish and this will be for the June application ending on the 30th.

So like you guys going to Guam and Alaska I went through a slew of phone calls. Ended up speaking with a Terry Owens who has told me she's spoken to people in the past with this same ordeal and she suggests to do one of 2 things.

1. (Which everyone already knows) Don't go to the PEPC and wait til the next applicant selection process.

2. Go to the PEPC. Fill out all the forms and whatnot so you get it out of the way. A week later call them up and tell them you don't want that location. You can then explain what location you do want and then when the next applicant selection process happens they will see you'd rather be at whatever location and you should get it. Then you're already ahead of the game because you've filled out all the paper work which is good for a year.

The next selection is Septemberish and this will be for the June application ending on the 30th.

#2 sounds a little hairy to me. . . I'd be interested to hear if someone has actually pulled that off. I really appreciate you asking about that for us.

I was actually planning to do the non-PEPC, how would that work?

#2 sounds a little hairy to me. . . I'd be interested to hear if someone has actually pulled that off. I really appreciate you asking about that for us.

I was actually planning to do the non-PEPC, how would that work?

Well I actually asked her if she had heard of the people she suggested that to, like whether or not that worked and she said yes. Now I didn't get into "so what you talk to all these people on a regular basis?" or anything like that, but it still sounded at least positive. So as of right now that's what I'm going on, unless I can talk to somebody at the PEPC. Even though she said I wouldn't be able to change my location there but never know.

I just went to the Chicago PEPC for the Kansas ARTCC. Kansas city isn't my first choice but was reluctant to decline since I applied under OTS. I was afraid my selection for future states will be riskier or slim. But since you mention about option #2, I might consider declining the position at Kansas City.

I just went to the Chicago PEPC for the Kansas ARTCC. Kansas city isn't my first choice but was reluctant to decline since I applied under OTS. I was afraid my selection for future states will be riskier or slim. But since you mention about option #2, I might consider declining the position at Kansas City.

Well if you decline be sure to ask about if you tell them which location you'd prefer will that be noticed in the next selection and stuff and let us know what they say please.

How could they select us in September, if we aren't even scheduled to take our ATSATs and the earliest we could possibly take our tests is end of July-August? We wouldn't even have time to state geographic preferences, and we presumably can't go to OKC until 2009, anyhow?

I'm going somewhere I didn't really want to, but the cost of living is cheap and the facility is an up/down level 7 so it will be nice to train at. Plus, i'll have lots of seniority in very little time. I tried to switch but didn't really want to start the process all over and things weren't as "loose" as they are now.

I'm going somewhere I didn't really want to, but the cost of living is cheap and the facility is an up/down level 7 so it will be nice to train at. Plus, i'll have lots of seniority in very little time. I tried to switch but didn't really want to start the process all over and things weren't as "loose" as they are now.

Do you mind sharing where you wanted to go and where you're going?

We wouldn't even have time to state geographic preferences,

I am kind of confused about the whole stating geographic preferences thing. When first reading these boards last week, I was under the impression that this is something you do after you take the AT-SAT. Then, today I filed out the online application and the first thing I had to do after hitting apply was to fill out my geo prefs - is this something you actually do twice?

dude1978, just re-read the announcement, it says to select throughout the nation as your preference initially. You will get the chance later on in the process to select your 2 states after u take and pass the At-sat.:nana2:

dude1978, just re-read the announcement, it says to select throughout the nation as your preference initially. You will get the chance later on in the process to select your 2 states after u take and pass the At-sat.:nana2:

I saw the part about selecting throughout the nation. I guess I didn't expect to see individual states there too - that's when I got confused.

I saw the part about selecting throughout the nation. I guess I didn't expect to see individual states there too - that's when I got confused.
On my Feb. application I didn't put throught the United States, I put down a hodge podge of states around my local area and states I wouldn't mind working. At the beginning of May I got an email stating I needed to select two states and either enroute, terminal, or both. This is the geo preferences everyone talks about. I got my second choice MN ARTCC. I am happy to be going there even though it is my second choice. The fact that I got selceted is good enough for me. ATC is the job I have wanted most of my life and it took going to college for me to realize it. So be happy that you got considered. anyway you can always transfer later.

I chose IL and CO either Tower or Center. I was selected for Iowa (where I live now). I dont mind IA but thought that ATC would be a good oportunity to move. I am nervous about trying to decline an offer, because there is a chance it might not happen again. All the IA locations have lower facility rating so hopefully I can get checked out quickly and transfer w/i a few years.

I chose IL and CO either Tower or Center. I was selected for Iowa (where I live now). I dont mind IA but thought that ATC would be a good oportunity to move. I am nervous about trying to decline an offer, because there is a chance it might not happen again. All the IA locations have lower facility rating so hopefully I can get checked out quickly and transfer w/i a few years.

just get in and worry about moving later. there are hundreds of other terminal facilities you can transfer to later on. pretty standard.

Back