For my fellow freight dawgs... reflection

Ha. I hate ad hoc. Not the flying per se, but the people that call you never know where the freight is, when it will arrive, destination on the field...they only know that you needed to be at the plane 20 minutes ago.

Yep that happens! And then they finally figure out where you are located on the field and they can't load the cargo into the plane because it can't fit through the cargo door. Then you see a bunch of guys looking like this....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

<not a freight dog>

I love single-pilot IFR. Some people really enjoy the 121 jet flying, and that's fine. In fact, a number of my friends really enjoy going out and flying RJs. I felt that it was completely uninspiring. Everything was taken care of for you, and once you turned on the autopilot you could just sit there reading the USA Today. Tired? Hit a button on the overhead and someone from behind the door hands you coffee. There are definitely pluses to that kind of flying (I'd be happy doing it again when I'm older and sick of flying ;)), but I really take pride in the down and dirty flying. I love having to think on my feet, making a run through a line of weather with a 1970s weather radar that probably works (if you can find zero tilt!), and hand flying approaches when it's raining sideways.

Actually, my company is handled by Continental in BWI, so we share operations with CAL, ExpressJet, and Chautauqua. Yesterday at work I ran into a very nicely groomed ExpressJet captain who saw my dull shoes, slightly wrinkly uniform, and company baseball cap and gave me one hell of a stink eye. I laughed. I take pride in having a slightly worn out and relaxed uniform. It means I work for a living. ;)

</not a freight dog>

I'd have stayed in the 135 freight biz if there seemed to be a long term future there. For me, the proposition was just too dicey...work for a company, move up to another, lose your job, go to another, lose your job...you sort of start to worry. Now, with that said, I deplore the fact that what few hairs were growing on my birdchest are starting to fall out, but thems the breaks. And I have nothing but good things to say about not just the experience, but the people I worked for. I'm hoping that part at least will stay the same with the 135/91 corporate world...all indications are that it will, at least with this particular company.

Oh, and for my money, there's nothing more fun than ad-hoc. Maybe I didn't do it long enough, but running over vespas to get to the airport so you can blast off for Bumtiddly, Middle of Nowhere and pick up a load of Whatever is Good Times. Wish it were more stable. In the long, long run, I'd love to wind up in a Whale or some other large transportation appliance once again blasting off with a load of Whatever. Whatever the case for me, I doubt I'll ever have better memories (job-wise) than cranking up the ole Garrets in the middle of a thundersnowstorm and pointing the nose towards a blasted expanse of concrete served by a single NDB to fill up with wiring harnesses that should have been there yesterday, however long I had to wait for the truck.

I ran in to a very senior pilot for my new job who flew for Ram years and years ago. You could see his eyes light up when we talked about the OOTSK. He didn't want to talk about jets or hotels or systems...he wanted to talk about scaring yourself in little airplanes and big weather. Can't buy that.

Freight dogging was some of the best parts of my flying career, and where I really cut my teeth on single pilot, heavy IFR.

Been single pilot my whole life.

I'd For me, the proposition was just too dicey...work for a company, move up to another, lose your job, go to another, lose your job....

My goal is to rotate thru all of them. Workin on my fourth right now:D. When I retire I'm gonna have an entire closet full of old leather jackets. A patch from each of the legendary cargo outfits.

I hear ya though. I'm hoping I can get a new set a skills while workin off the loans from the last one without going back to being a dirt poor college student again.

<not a freight dog>

I love single-pilot IFR. Some people really enjoy the 121 jet flying, and that's fine. In fact, a number of my friends really enjoy going out and flying RJs. I felt that it was completely uninspiring. Everything was taken care of for you, and once you turned on the autopilot you could just sit there reading the USA Today. Tired? Hit a button on the overhead and someone from behind the door hands you coffee. There are definitely pluses to that kind of flying (I'd be happy doing it again when I'm older and sick of flying ;)), but I really take pride in the down and dirty flying. I love having to think on my feet, making a run through a line of weather with a 1970s weather radar that probably works (if you can find zero tilt!), and hand flying approaches when it's raining sideways.

Actually, my company is handled by Continental in BWI, so we share operations with CAL, ExpressJet, and Chautauqua. Yesterday at work I ran into a very nicely groomed ExpressJet captain who saw my dull shoes, slightly wrinkly uniform, and company baseball cap and gave me one hell of a stink eye. I laughed. I take pride in having a slightly worn out and relaxed uniform. It means I work for a living. ;)

</not a freight dog>

You're not quite freight, but I think we can give you honorable mention.:D

It should be a requirement that all company's issue you a patch for flying with their company. That way you could wear your resume rather than have to type it up on paper.

Well if this 800-1500 hr rule for copilots on pax flights comes out, I'll have to fly freight - love the idea of the 2-3 man crews and ad hoc nature - will it be the same in the freighters of tomorrow (787/747-8 etc?)

If I ever get to fly a 727/DC-8/L-1011/DC-10, it'd better be with a JCer :)

Alex.

Well if this 800-1500 hr rule for copilots on pax flights comes out, I'll have to fly freight - love the idea of the 2-3 man crews and ad hoc nature - will it be the same in the freighters of tomorrow (787/747-8 etc?)

If I ever get to fly a 727/DC-8/L-1011/DC-10, it'd better be with a JCer :)

Alex.

Fly freight because you want to not because you want to get to 1500 hours.
Can't fly freight till you get to 1200 anyways. Don't do it for 300 hours.

It should be a requirement that all company's issue you a patch for flying with their company. That way you could wear your resume rather than have to type it up on paper.

Excellent idea. Although I'm afraid my "Rough Rider" patch might give a certain segment of the population "the wrong idea". :eek:

Excellent idea. Although I'm afraid my "Rough Rider" patch might give a certain segment of the population "the wrong idea". :eek:
Depends on where you go on Saturday night. But I am married so it doesn't matter now.

Then once you reach the 3 year mark you get another patch, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, and so on. I think Frank would be up to at least a 15 year patch.

I'd fly freight (pt 91) because I could with the hours I'd have, not to build hours towards other types of flying - we'll see what develops, still have some work to do first :)

Alex.

Depends on where you go on Saturday night. But I am married so it doesn't matter now.

Then once you reach the 3 year mark you get another patch, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, and so on. I think Frank would be up to at least a 15 year patch.

Is Frank the Old dude with the cane that naps every night on the couch in CPS. That guy was awsome. How many years is Jerome up to?

That's Frank. Good guy. Jerome quit a couple of years ago to sail a boat. I hear he might be looking to come back...

The last word: The bad boys of
aviation

In any event, you manage to keep
the crippled 747 flying long enough to dump fuel and return
to Anchorage for a harrowing landing

Ah come on any self respecting freight dog would have continued to their destination:rawk:
j/k but their are a few...

Back