For FO Jeff Skiles of USAir 1549

WacoFan

Bigly
This thread is to show appreciation for First Officer Jeff Skiles of USAir Flight 1549. While everyone is uniformly in awe of Sully, many post regarding that flight have cropped up here on JC asking "What about the FO..." or "Why didn't they mention the FO...." We all recognize that you also played a great part in this event, and perhaps had a harder job in having to run your checklists while Sully flew the plane. This takes exceptional discipline and courage and we are all grateful for your efforts.

This thread at JC is your "fan mail" and your recognition for a job well done. Thank you for your actions on that day and great job!

Great work First Officer Skiles! It takes more than just one to fly an A320, espically in extreme circumstances ending with a flawless outcome. You are an inspiration to both the up-and-comming, and the veteran, aviators. Bravo!

Agreed, hats off to Mr. Skiles. He deserves every ounce of recognition from the public for flying that plane as well. Also, the FAs deserve a lot as well for doing a job well done.

Absolutely!
Before the Super Bowl started I was really glad to see they put the entire crew out on the field. Every member on every flight plays a very important role.

There is no "I" in team. I too believe that every crew member did a great job with the incident. Cheers to all.

Even though Mr. Scully reacted well and humble enough to the stupid questions during the interview the Copilot struck me as a nice character also. Very cool. There is no I in team, and Mr. Skiles was just as important as Scully. For sure all deserve praise for a job well done.

Thanks to Airbus, for building a plane that would not break up!

You just know that when all was lost and everyone was headed for disaster, he got Sully (Scully? The truth is out there!? ) the perfect cup of coffee that enabled him (Scully, that luscious redhead) to put the plane down just right.

Seriously, though, does anyone here still labor under the impression that the Public gives even a shart about what your job is like? They care about the Hero of the Hudson because it allows them to actually approximate feelingl something in their otherwise soulless prefab trailer-park lives. As far as they're concerned, Sully might just as well have been an heroic carnival-ride attendant who hit the red "Hey, dumbass, if something goes wrong hit the red button" button just before ten autistic kids were decapitated by the Evil Clown. No one cares about what you're paid, no one cares about the skill with which you operate (or don't) the machine. You're a line item on a budget. Stop trying to appeal to the idiot cattle who would vote their own mothers for the glue factory if it got them a lottery ticket, and start worrying about how best to screw those idiots for higher fares and thereby higher wages. Everything else is a blind alley.

"JC presents: Real men of genius. Today we salute you, Mr. I-had-a-small-part-in-the-miracle-on-the-Hudson".

LOL -

OK guys - guess this was a bad idea then. The point of this thread came from the thread about the 60 minutes piece. Everyone was somewhat bummed about how the FO got less attention and fewer lines than the FA that most thought was a drama queen. Also, many were sad that it was Sully and a lot of "I" this and "I" that. I had the idea to start this thread as something nice to do for FO Skiles.

I appreciate the sentiments displayed here and thank you guys for shocking me back into reality. I must have been having some kind of emotional, Midol moment last night when I had this idea. I'll be back to my old, cynical self now...right after I change my Tampax.

You just know that when all was lost and everyone was headed for disaster, he got Sully (Scully? The truth is out there!? ) the perfect cup of coffee that enabled him (Scully, that luscious redhead) to put the plane down just right.

Seriously, though, does anyone here still labor under the impression that the Public gives even a shart about what your job is like? They care about the Hero of the Hudson because it allows them to actually approximate feelingl something in their otherwise soulless prefab trailer-park lives. As far as they're concerned, Sully might just as well have been an heroic carnival-ride attendant who hit the red "Hey, dumbass, if something goes wrong hit the red button" button just before ten autistic kids were decapitated by the Evil Clown. No one cares about what you're paid, no one cares about the skill with which you operate (or don't) the machine. You're a line item on a budget. Stop trying to appeal to the idiot cattle who would vote their own mothers for the glue factory if it got them a lottery ticket, and start worrying about how best to screw those idiots for higher fares and thereby higher wages. Everything else is a blind alley.

:yeahthat:

Bravo, sir. At last, a realist.

<shrug> I thought it was a nice idea. I still don't think that Sully gave the FO enough credit.

And, as long as we're Monday-morning quarterbacking Sully... why the heck did he take the controls from Skiles? What was he going to do that Skiles couldn't do?

When Al Haynes speaks he mentions that when the event occurred on UAL 232 he said one of the dumbest things in his professional career; "I have the controls".

Now, I realize it's been 7 years or so since I last received a paycheck from US Airways, but when I flew there the folks in the schoolhouse encouraged the Captain to relinquish control of the aircraft to the first officer during a non-normal. Why? Because any monkey can fly the airplane, but it takes a Captain to make a decision -- and ones perceptual field is severely limited when he/she is hand-flying.

So my first question was, "Why did he take the controls from Skiles?"

My question today, as it was last night, is (with regard to the interview), were you alone in the cockpit? Because it sure as heck sounds like it with your continuous use of phrases like, "I had to...", "My airplane was...", "I knew I could make it..."

So there ya go. I'll be the jerk who second guesses a national "hero". Somebody had to do it or we wouldn't have had anything to talk about. ;)

<shrug> I thought it was a nice idea. I still don't think that Sully gave the FO enough credit.

And, as long as we're Monday-morning quarterbacking Sully... why the heck did he take the controls from Skiles? What was he going to do that Skiles couldn't do?

IF it is true that Skiles was on his first trip after IOE, that means he spent the last few months doing nothing but dealing with the ECAM and checklist, relighting engines, etc. I would have leaned on his recency of training and high familiarity with engine relights.

My question today, as it was last night, is (with regard to the interview), were you alone in the cockpit? Because it sure as heck sounds like it with your continuous use of phrases like, "I had to...", "My airplane was...", "I knew I could make it..."

So there ya go. I'll be the jerk who second guesses a national "hero". Somebody had to do it or we wouldn't have had anything to talk about. ;)
"My airplane" is the phrase used to transfer control, correct? Nothing territorial in that. And the choosing of specific responses to specific questions.. would you have been happier if he had done an Oscar?

"I knew we were all going to make it and... if I may speak for the crew... I would like to thank the engineers at Airbus, CFM who created this machine.. the dispatcher, Rollo D'Fuel who worked so closely with me on this flight plan; the tower operator, Elwood Clearway who cleared me for takeoff, Henry Hudson for providing us his river to land on..."
</shrug>

Okay I thought we left all of the "critiquing" in the 60 minutes thread. Is he gonna be at JC 2009 or not?

When Al Haynes speaks he mentions that when the event occurred on UAL 232 he said one of the dumbest things in his professional career; "I have the controls".

Now, I realize it's been 7 years or so since I last received a paycheck from US Airways, but when I flew there the folks in the schoolhouse encouraged the Captain to relinquish control of the aircraft to the first officer during a non-normal. Why? Because any monkey can fly the airplane, but it takes a Captain to make a decision -- and ones perceptual field is severely limited when he/she is hand-flying.

So my first question was, "Why did he take the controls from Skiles?"

Wow, my thoughts exactly. I fully agree with you on it. Great post.
</shrug>

This thread is to show appreciation for First Officer Jeff Skiles of USAir Flight 1549. While everyone is uniformly in awe of Sully, many post regarding that flight have cropped up here on JC asking "What about the FO..." or "Why didn't they mention the FO...." We all recognize that you also played a great part in this event, and perhaps had a harder job in having to run your checklists while Sully flew the plane. This takes exceptional discipline and courage and we are all grateful for your efforts.

This thread at JC is your "fan mail" and your recognition for a job well done. Thank you for your actions on that day and great job!

Jeff Skiles certainly deserves appreciation for his part in the ditching and while everyone in aviation realizes that he played a major role in the event, it would be nice if the public understood that too. In any event, here's to Jeff Skiles.

I agree with the others and would also like to congratulate Mr. Skiles on his heroic efforts. I could only imagine what would be going through my mind if the frigid water of the Hudson were approaching faster and faster, knowing it could be the last thing I lay eyes on. Their heroics (the WHOLE crew) wont be forgotten.

Back