For all You Instrument Currency Experts

fish85

I am wondering if a multi-engine(with instrument privileges) check ride counts as an instrument proficiency check. It hasn't quite been a year since the check ride but it's been over a year since I've done six approaches/hold etc. I am wondering if I just need to get current in the next couple days or actually get a proficiency check. Thanks for the help.

Would only work for an IPC if you made prior arrangement with the DPE. And, if they agree to it (a very large if, for a number of reasons), they'll want you to do more than the one, single-engine approach that is part of your MEL checkride and will heap a lot more information into the oral portion. If you didn't have that agreement when you took your ride, you're out of luck.

It's much easier to just grab a CFI-I and 172 to get an IPC done, anyway.

Would only work for an IPC if you made prior arrangement with the DPE. And, if they agree to it (a very large if, for a number of reasons), they'll want you to do more than the one, single-engine approach that is part of your MEL checkride and heap a lot more information into the oral portion.

It's much easier to just grab a CFI-I and 172 to get an IPC done.

Or just hop in a simulator with a CFII and do 6 and call it good, and MUCH cheaper. its the same thing.

You do not need to perform six approaches for an IPC.

Exactly!!! An IPC is way cheaper if you are up to snuff and need to do more than 3 approaches. Plus, it gives you a chance to meet a fellow aviator (or reconnect with one) and have another set of eyes make sure you still aren't gonna kill yourself.

Back