Food at CMI

jtrain609

Antisocial Monster
Heya everyone,

For anyone down at KCMI, ya'll know any good places to grab some food on or near the airport? I'm going to be doing my 300nm solo cross country for the commercial on Friday and I'm gonna head over to KCMI. It's a nice 287 straight line distance, more than enough for the 250 mile requirement.

Oh yeah, talked with the FSDO about the whole IFR vs. VFR thing. They told me that they can't find anything in the rules that requires it to be VFR. That was coming out of one of the FAA's examiners, and he said he asked some other people around there. I had posted about it a few months ago, and I'm now finally getting around to getting the nitty gritty worked out.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I'm based at CMI. I'm driving down to So. Illinois this weekend to visit my girlfriend, otherwise I'd offer to join you for lunch! The only FBO at the airport is Flightstar, and they have two crew cars available. Expect the beater one... they leave the PT Cruiser for the corporate guys.
mad.gif
As you drive off the airport, turn left onto Rt. 45 (the major road). Driving up that way past Wal-Mart, you'll pass Sonic drive-in, Arby's, KFC, A&W, Spaghetti shop, etc. If you keep going up into town, where it starts to get more "urban", you'll find more restaurants.

I'd suggest heading into campustown. Drive up Route 45/Neil Street to Green Street (there is a Dunkin Donuts on the corner), and turn right. Going east, you'll hit the main campustown area. There is a wide variety of stuff to eat there. I'd recommend Legends or Murphy's Pub, both bars have great burgers. Murphy's probably has better food and atmosphere. Also on that street, you can find La Bamba, if you feel like having some greasy Mexican food (which is VERY good), or Za's for sandwiches. Zorba's next to Za's has good Gyros, and Pita Pit has some good grub there. That one square block has a couple choices for good eats. There is a Panera soup place a block south of there too.

E-mail me for more info. FlyChicaga@worldnet.att.net

I'm a CMI expert.
grin.gif

Sweet man, thanks for the info. Nice to get some local perspective from a place 300 miles away that I've never been to
smile.gif

Cheers

John Herreshoff

You guys are sounding like real airline pilots already! haha!

"Hey, I'm flying to XYZ, what's to eat there?"

VERY common question in the cockpit.

Speaking of trips, here's my next one I start on Thursday:

Day 1: DFW-ATL-DCA-ATL-CMH (Arriving too late to care)
Day 2: CMH-ATL-MSY (Cajun Food!)
Day 3: MSY-DFW-CVG-SAT (Mexican Food!)
Day 4: SAT-CVG-DFW

LOL Doug, I guess we are. I mean geez, I didn't become a pilot to fly places for scenery! I fly there to EAT!
grin.gif

Mmmmm... a little hungry, think it's about time for some Mexican food.

Will do. I've actually got like 4 different trips worked out right now depending on what the weather does to me. My first choice is CMI. Flew flight sim from Meigs to CMI a lot and I'd like to check it out. Next on the list is I69, which is Sporty's pilot shop. After that comes Rochester, NY. If I can't do that, it'll be up to Houghton, MI for me. I've got something lined up in every direction
smile.gif

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
After that comes Rochester, NY

[/ QUOTE ]

Who in their right mind would go to Rottenchester?
wink.gif

Just kidding. If you do end up going in that direction...get the courtesy car, and go to the Dinosaur BBQ downtown (just ask the people at the FBO, they'll know exactly what you're talking about). That place alone would make your trip worthwhile!
smile.gif

Don't forget Papa Dels pizza, also on Green St. (I think it's at 4th/Green). Great Chicago style deep dish pizza. If you have ever had Gino's East pizza from Chicago that's what it is like. There are other chain style restaurants near the commercial part of town north of I-74. I suggest Chevy's Fresh Mex (go north on Neil St. past the interstate by the mall). Awesome sit-down mexican restaurant with quick service.

Back