FO Training --- Time building

Vaid

I was just wondering If anyone knows how to get the best training to get hired by Regionals?
<font color="blue"> </font>
confused.gif

I look into few different programs that I could build hrs they are in different type of aircrafts and I really don't know which one will help he down the road.

I don't want to instruct.

Thanks

Best training would be.

1. A college degree
2. 1500 hours flight with a major bit of PIC multi.
3. A resume that includes someone paying you to fly their equipment. (banner towing, sightseeing, Instructing.)

The bad part is most places want CFIs to do their sight seeing/traffic work, and unless you have the cash to fly 500hrs just to build the time… you might want to instruct.

Thanks,

I'll get my college degree in a year.
About 1500 hrs banner towing, sightseeing, instructing; they're mostly with single engines and it won't be quality time(I think).

Is it better to have low quality time but mostly PIC or have High quality turboprop and jet time SIC?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it better to have low quality time but mostly PIC or have High quality turboprop and jet time SIC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know where you're gonna get high quality turboprop time with low time. Maybe you'll get lucky
but in this economy especially (unless you're Joe Millionare) I wouldn't approach building time any other
way than getting your CFI unless you're in no hurry that is.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to instruct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know instructing isnt for everyone, but its hard to get by without it. Like was already said, traffic watch and things like that generally like their pilots to be CFI's. On top of that, most, if not all traffic watch positions are part time. Banner towing could build you some time, but you will get absolutely no cross country time, which is the hardest thing to get when building 135 or ATP hour requirements (not to mention that banner towing pays worse than instructing). I wasnt sure I wanted to instruct either, but I got my CFI anyways, because I was sick and tired of paying for my flight time. Then I got my CFII (because every place I looked seemed to want me to have that too) and started instructing full-time. I've only been at it full time for a couple weeks now, but I'm having a lot of fun and its true what they say- you learn more in the first 10 hours of instructing than you do during the entire process of getting your CFI. So, my advice would be, get your CFI anyways. At the very very least, it will make your resume look more competitive. And give instructing a chance, you never know (until you try it), you might just like it!
smile.gif

I would not call being a CFI 'low quality time'. Do not judge the quality of the time solely by the equipment flow. It has been noted here before that many employers take a dim view of PFT. Does the fact that you sat in the right seat for 250 hours and put the gear up and down in a 402/Beech 1900/whatever mean that you are highly qualified?

When you are a CFI you are the PIC. You decide what is to be done each flight, where it will go, and even if it is safe to fly at all. This is valuable experience, especially if you have instrument students. You also have to actually read and understand the FAR/AIM and other training materials. Something few students manage to do.

You also get paid to fly. Someone is trusting you with their airplane. You get to build time at no cost to yourself. This is much cheaper than PFT. You may have to buy multi-time to get hired, but that is the only time I think you should have to pay for after getting your CFI (except maybe some CC time, its hard to get the 500 for the ATP as an instructor).

Whichever path you choose, good luck.

I think it is really said that you virtually have to instruct to even have a chance of getting the minimums needed. It forces those who don't want to and / or are not very good teachers to do it, which is detrimential to the students.

Anyways... I dunno... maybe try getting on to a small cargo operation using your time with banner towing. You'll need some twin time which will be the hardest to get, but once you get on the the cargo op you'll get some of the best experience possible flying in tough weather and odd hours.

I would highly agree. I'm not a CFI yet but during the past month while in training for my CFI I've come
to the realization of just how hard it really is. And you have to really know your stuff. If I was hiring I would
hire the guy with 1500 hours and CFI over the guy who had 1500 and no CFI. Instructing puts you in those
situations where you have to make decisions. I can't think of a more valuable learning experience.

Unfortunately most cargo positions are part 135, which requires 1200 TT, 500 XC (and some other requirements). You can apply to AirNet Express with only 500 TT, but not a snowballs chance in hell that you're going to get hired until you get very close to the 135/ATP mins- especially with the industry the way it is right now. Instructing is really the way to go.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
I don't have the patient to instruct but it looks like that is my only option; also it’s very hard to get a job in Florida as a CFI (So many CIF’s in Florida). Any suggestion how to be a better candidate for CFI positions??

You really don't need to PFT.

I got a job in a very similar environment to the present state of the business and didn't PFT at all.

I think you need to ask yourself if you don't want to instruct, do you want to be a captain? The reason instruction time is so valuable for the regionals is that it is really your first captain job. I can tell if I am flying with a captain who has intructed or not. Captains who haven't tend to be jumpy, and quite frankly a lot less tolorant of having another person in the cockpit. They tend to have more of the old time attitude of "I am god of this airplane".

I think as a CFI you have to spend a lot of time dealing with different personalities and having the patience to deal with them. You have to be able to teach and communicate as well as interpret different reactions. All of those qualities are very important as an airline captain in this day and age of CRM.

Skipping the CFI thing does not mean you will not be a good captain, but it does increase the odds that you will be. Regional airlines know this, and is said so often, airlines hire future captains, not first officers.

[ QUOTE ]
A college degree
2. 1500 hours flight with a major bit of PIC multi.
3. A resume that includes someone paying you to fly their equipment. (banner towing, sightseeing, Instructing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Also, I would add that at least 200 ME is necessary. The more the better.

I personally think that instructing is the most reliable way to build experience, at least initially. After you get 135 minimums, then you can look at flying freight or something like that.

I'm definetely a CFI fan.

You're paid to fly, you build experience, have to worry a lot less about getting scammed. Better chances of networking and a lot less sharks."

Back