Fo is a little behind the curve

Unfortunately, merit based systems almost always seem to turn into who you know and who's ass you kiss to move up. The few times that a substandard FO makes it to the left seat is worth the price knowing your upgrade is not contingent on a popularity contest. The crappy pilots typically get caught in training or by professional standards. If I had to depend on somebody liking me in order to upgrade I would still be a second officer.

Allow them to make the mistake as long as it doesn't comprmise safety or customer comfort. Being an FO is supposed to be a learning experince, all be it a small one. There is a reason why the guy in the left seat usually has more hours, at least in the aircraft type.

[quote="mshunter, post: 1874777, member: 13125"Being an FO is supposed to be a learning experince, all be it a small one.[/quote]

All be it != Albeit

Boom! Grammar Ninja Strikes Again!

Unfortunately, merit based systems almost always seem to turn into who you know and who's ass you kiss to move up. The few times that a substandard FO makes it to the left seat is worth the price knowing your upgrade is not contingent on a popularity contest. The crappy pilots typically get caught in training or by professional standards. If I had to depend on somebody liking me in order to upgrade I would still be a second officer.

This is why 135 can be dicey for career advancement. Honestly, the sketchy part is that often times upgrade is based on how much of a "company man" you're willing to be, more so than "how much someone likes you."

Its a double edged sword there, I mean, I was upgraded to PIC in just over a year and I wouldnt call myself a "company man". However, It seems most things in this side of the industry tend to work on a "if we need it basis".

Did they also ask in the interview what you would do as an FO if your Captain is completely unstandard to the point where it's unsafe?

What if all he is capable of is following the flight director into the ground 5 miles short of the airport (on a VFR day) because he set the modes wrong and even when looking outside and seeing 4 red on the PAPI ignores it and goes back to following the magenta line?
Flying with the new Gen "pilots" out of Embry I see

Flying with the new Gen "pilots" out of Embry I see

Awesome--as far as I know I've only flown with one self proclaimed riddle guy and all he seemed to do was create self induced turbulence over-controlling at the slightest bump, made me go o_O

Back