Flying VFR in the north east?

Vector4Food

This job would be easier without all the airplanes
Flying down into Yankee airspace in a week or so, customs in Bangor, then on further down the coast. Probably not much further than New Hampshire, but depending on how adventurous we become, may go further.

Any suggestions on where/what to see in that general area (1-2 hour flying distance) That doesn't involve me being on the headlines of CNN.

Yeah, Bar Harbour and coastal Maine is real pretty. If you fly inland a bit though, Lake Camplain / Lake George and the Adirondack Mountain area is nice.

I might see if our backroom can assign my flight plan a callsign of "Canuckistan 1"

If you get far enough, check out the Portsmouth area, flying the coast gives you a nice view of all the big houses and the town. Since you're so close though at that point I'd say def head down towards Boston and check out the city from the air!

Yeah, Bar Harbour and coastal Maine is real pretty. If you fly inland a bit though, Lake Camplain / Lake George and the Adirondack Mountain area is nice.

This, Lake Placid or Saranac Lake, The leaves are starting to change color in the ADK mtn region, should be beautiful in 2-4 weeks!

Eh, yer cleared fer dat dair visual aprooch buddy, looks like aboot ten moor miles ta go.
Now then, are ya familiar with our prOHcess fer closing dat dair flight plan after ya land?

I love Canadia!

What kind of things do you want to see?
If you're going into Boston, I think there's a T stop near LWM (Lawrence) north of the city. Also a museum about the industrial revolution, if that interests you. I'm not a fan of BED as a transient, even though it's closer to the city.
If you like cool US Navy stuff, there's Battleship Cove in MA, and the Nautilus in CT. Depending on the day you come, Collings Foundation might have their museum open for an event.
Go further south, fly the Hudson corridor & go into NYC for a day.

If flying along the coast of southern ME, near NH border; watch out for Kennebunkport- prohibited area.... Pres. George H. W. Bush has a vacation home there (1st Bush).... it's SSE of the VOR, P-67 I think it was

As others have said, BHB is worth a visit and so is nearby RKD. For either you will need a crew car or rental to get to the nearby towns. I am not flying these days, but if you need any land based info for coastal Maine, drop me a PM.

Come our way. If you make it to Big Apple I have a hangar for you at 39N. We can check the cluster of three bravos if you like. Or just a river or two :)

hudsoncorridor.jpg

Coastal locations were already mentioned if you decide to go deeper go to Rangeley Lake 8B0, ME. Beautiful views of lakes, mountains and forests.

rangeley1.jpg

My buddy has a bungalow there if it's rented out he can hook you up with good B&B by the lake.

rangeley.jpg

Fuel $5.05 per gallon here at Bethel.

bethel.jpg

On your side you can always land at CLE4 a grass jfk own by Ron. Ron is the guy who flew us to Moncton for Center tour. The smoothest grass I've ever been. He will show you his wharf if you are into boats or drive you couple km to a skeleton of a whale his buddy owns.

ronstrip.jpg

StaceysIpod2854.jpg

StaceysIpod2855.jpg

You will enjoy the trip. Email me approximate dates I check my schedule maybe I can meet you at KIWI.

Transportation Museum on the opposite side of the Rockland (Maine) airport has lots of WWI - era flying machines, many in flying condition. Check w/ them on what's flying - most weekends. Always a number being restored, too.

I flew into Rockland yesterday. I did not have a chance to visit the museum but people at the FBO told me it was pretty nice. It is a beautiful part of the country to visit.

The museum is a nice spot to hit, and Rockland itself is a great town with some excellent food.

Back