Flying VFR around NYC

Pépé le Pilot

Hey guys, I'm planning a nice GA flying trip with my daughter, and I was wondering what kind of VFR flying could be done around NYC...? Also I'm looking to rent a G1000 172 for 40hrs-ish at a good price, so any lead on that would be much appreciated.... Thanks !

I'm still debating wether to land in MIA and flying up to NYC or vice-versa. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if it's worth flying around NYC (is there a Bay Tour type of scenic VFR route like in SFO)...

There's the skyline route that takes you up/down the Hudson at I think it's 1500'. You'll be talking to EWR and LGA towers while you're doing it. Also the Hudson Corridor which is uncontrolled.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the input NovemberEcho, and since you seem to be pretty familiar with the area, any aircraft rental you care recommending ?

you might get cheaper deal renting from NJ and fairly close enough to do the VFR corridor routes.
LDJ doesn’t have a flight school anymore which is the best and closest option.
There is central jersey airport
Old bridge airport
Princeton is fairly close by
Solberg airport(cheapest in the area)

You will most likely Have to do a checkout before they rent it out to you

Thanks a lot for the input NovemberEcho, and since you seem to be pretty familiar with the area, any aircraft rental you care recommending ?

I'm a controller at N90 for the EWR sector. Depending on where you're flying into (lga, jfk, or EWR) your best bets for a rental is FRG or ISP on Long Island, or what day dreamer said for Jersey.

I instructed out of FRG. VFR flying is easy in NYC. The controllers are very accommodating and I’ve never been denied a VFR transition. Very professional group of controllers. Even when it’s busy, they’ll try to help you out.

The closest schools/ rentals are at MMU, FRG, HPN & CDW.

I’ve flown up the Hudson before < 1,000’ and it was easy after taking the AOPA course and report the lady in sight.

Drop me a PM when you are in the area. If I am not away I'll get couple shots on that fun flight of yours. Like the one below. I own a two seater experimental and I am in the Hudson corridor every other week or so.

Back