Flying to Jamaica

Baronpilot244

Killick Stoker
Got asked about flying to Jamaica today in a piston twin (sharp intake of breath). Apart from the obvious "dont do it" advice what's the form here? Overfly Cuba, go to Bahamas and then across? What say you?
(We'll be flying a C340 by the way!)

Bp244

Don't forget your Caricom APIS, although I've heard Jamaican customs hates the idea that a consortium dictates what documentation they need.

I'd go over Cuba, but that's just me. Pay the overflight fee and be done with it. Not that big of an ordeal anyway.

Got asked about flying to Jamaica today in a piston twin (sharp intake of breath). Apart from the obvious "dont do it" advice what's the form here? Overfly Cuba, go to Bahamas and then across? What say you?
(We'll be flying a C340 by the way!)

Bp244

Sounds fun. Why the "Don't do it"? :)

My experience (10+ flights in the past two years) is that a CARICom APIS isn't required by Jamaica for arrivals from the States. If you land at another Caribbean Island then go to Jamaica, you'll need to submit one. I just came back form there a couple of months ago in our Mustang......not a bad trip.
I second the Cuban overflight. No problems through the airspace and they are very helpful and considerate of your requests. Also on the return Key West is a GREAT place to clear Customs as they are very flexible on their hours.

Man, that sounds like an awesome trip. The only "don't do it" I can think of is running out of gas. Don't do that. But, I'm just a passenger on this ride. Sounds great!

Not sure if it's worth the price, but if you're a member of Caribbean Flying Adventures you can get free Cuba overflights... Limited to one per year I think.

Well l was bracing myself for the usual jabs at the 340 and piston powered flights over water! (But you get a pass as you're a veteran twin Cessna driver!)

Bp244

Hah, no, I think you'd be fine. Lots of land between Florida and Jamaica. I flew A555 from FLL to SJU once in the 402, and that was somewhat more water than I would have preferred. In any case, we could still make shore had we lost one.

Thanks for all the input here - I think the Cuba overfly is going to be the way and we'll prob just join Carribbean Flying Adventures - sounds like they have a good handle on this stuff.
Apart from getting a life raft and vests, what about carrying flares and a flare gun? Is there a certain type that is approved?
Dont want to get into trouble with the authorities for carrying something we shouldn't - also what about personal locators - does the "Find me Spot" system work outside the US? Anyone have suggestions on what other options are available (this aircraft does not have a 406MHz ELT).
Also any other equipment we should think about apart from blankets, food, first aid kit etc? I have spare spark plugs, bulbs and a few other come in handy parts on board. Sorry to be such a greenhorn - this will be a first for me so I want to cover all the bases....

Bp244

Not familiar with Find me Spot but it's probably similar to SpotTracker. SpotTracker works great all over the world. Take a raft, with flares in the kit, first aid, etc. Use your judgment because you don't have a lot of spare space in the Mustang......

Enjoy the view and the trip!! I hope the weather is clear to give you a good look at Cuba.

Back