Flying times Qs

jetman

How is the flying time shared between Cap.and F/O?
What is the ratio[hrs flown by Cap./ hrs flown by F/O?
Who decides?
When F/O is flying who is PIC , if there is an accident who is responsible ?
How is the flying time loged?

Thanks for input regards jetman
blush.gif

I can give you answers based on what we do here at Skywest which is pretty much the was everyone does it.

How is the flying time shared between Cap.and F/O?

We try to keep it equal. Split up the legs as even as possible. One captain I flew with would do all the outstation flights and I would fly into the hubs, then the next trip we would swap. I like doing it by round-trips better.

What is the ratio[hrs flown by Cap./ hrs flown by F/O?

Pretty equal. See above!

Who decides?

Depends on the captain. I'm pretty laid back so I'll give my FO the opportunity to fly his favorite legs, etc. I usually do the very first flight of the trip- to set the tone, sort of.

When F/O is flying who is PIC , if there is an accident who is responsible ?

No matter who has his/her hands on the controls, the captain is always the PIC and holds sole responsibility for the flight.

How is the flying time loged?

The captain always logs PIC and the FO SIC no matter who is actually flying the airplane for that leg.

Thanks very much for info :coolhas your company ordered 30 CRJ 700 from Bombardier? what do you flight? :
grin.gif

regards jetman

[ QUOTE ]
The captain always logs PIC and the FO SIC no matter who is actually flying the airplane for that leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, since the FO would need to be type rated in the aircraft to log PIC, what if the FO actually had a type rating for the aircraft being flown.. then could he log PIC?

Ryan

The PIC is the Captain. The captain is the one who signs the release for the airplane is responsible for the airplane.

What about trips accross the pond when pilots rest - is the captain still logging PIC as he sleeps in the back? My guess is yes, as he has signed all the paper work, and is responsible for the trip even if he is getting shut eye.

I fly the RJ. Yes, it's been officially announced that we will be getting at least 30 of the 70-seat RJs. Deliverys begin eaerly 2004.

Back