Flying Schedule

Boilermaker21

If a guy goes in for an interview with a reserve/guards upt board, are they generally hiring for the part time positions, or can a new guy get a full time slot, so when they come back from ocs/upt they start right into a full time flying schedule?.....im asking this because ive got two of these interviews coming up in the next two months and nothing was really specified as to if they were hiring for the standard part time jobs or full time......i talked to one of my professors who used to be in the reserves, and he seemed to think that the full time flying jobs are pretty highly sought after in these units, so the chances of some new guy like myself getting to fly full time was not great.....anyone have any thoughts on this??........also, for the people that do fly a full time schedule, what other responsibilities and jobs do they have on base besides flying the aircraft day to day?....i remember talking to a guy in a unit who said he usually works in "tactics", not really sure what that was....

Call up your recruiter and ask whether it is full time or part time. Once you return from UPT you will be full time while you train with your unit. This lasts for about a year, then you become a traditional reservist. That was how it was explained to me by a reservist pilot.

You normally start traditional (part-time). Full time slots as an AGR or Air Tech are difficult to come bu, and usually someone has to vacate one of those to make room for someone to take one. Part time guys may or may not have an additional duty in the unit, full timers will since they run the day to day ops of the unit.

Thanks for the replys....another one, what determines which pilots from a certain unit get deployed overseas if called upon?....

The full time spots are hard to get, but you can try to get one once you are fully qualified.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replys....another one, what determines which pilots from a certain unit get deployed overseas if called upon?....

[/ QUOTE ]

If the unit gets sent overseas, they'll get federalized first, meaning they recall everyone.

Everybody goes, or as many depending on the need.

Back