Flying over Canada

89-LX

I was wondering, if I was to fly from Michigan to Ohio over Canadian airspace, is there anything I should know? VFR, IFR, etc.

Only thing I can find so far is 91.703 which pertains to me. I will not be landing in Canada, so that throw a lot out. This just seems to be a little tricky to find out.

Two engines or one?

Two: Go IFR and it's easy. Go VFR and I honestly don't know what the deal is. I know you need a flight plan...but I think that's it. I normally do those trips IFR.

One: Go the long way.

-mini

Two engines or one?

Two: Go IFR and it's easy. Go VFR and I honestly don't know what the deal is. I know you need a flight plan...but I think that's it. I normally do those trips IFR.

One: Go the long way.

-mini

Its going to be a single. I am crossing the river into canadian airspace, and using islands that are a few miles apart as my points for "oh crap" factor.

Yep, thats it. You a pilot in that area?
Sorta...about 30 miles SSE of CXR but I've crossed that lake enough in singles to know where those islands are.

I'd still recommend the long way, but if you're committed to doing this in the shortest distance possible, go as high as you can (take O2 if you can and go higher) and cross the lake at the narrowest part...over the islands will work if you're high enough. If you can get in the 12-14k range, you should be okay. Keep in mind that icing will be a factor this time of year.

I used to cross at 12k going up to DTW out of BKL in the caravan and I'd go over the islands going into BKL from DPA descending through about 15k at that point, IIRC...some nights I'd stay low but never lower than 8-10 depending if I got sent over CGT or LEWKE on the way out of Chicago. As much as I could tell with my math, I could either make the "mainland", the islands or Canada (BKL-DTW) at any given time. ATC was always very helpful and understood the whole single engine/cold water/hypothermia thing.

Go IFR and you shouldn't have much of a problem. I've got an FCC license, but I'm not sure if that's required or not. You'll probably talk to Cleveland Center the whole time, so I don't think Canadian ATC will come into play. If it does, just be ready for the "lingo", like "Radar Identified" vs "Radar Contact"...things like that.

Still, going over TOL and heading East from there would be my recommendation. Make just very slight cuts off of the corner of the lake. No more than you can glide to shore from.

-mini

Sorta...about 30 miles SSE of CXR but I've crossed that lake enough in singles to know where those islands are.

I'd still recommend the long way, but if you're committed to doing this in the shortest distance possible, go as high as you can (take O2 if you can and go higher) and cross the lake at the narrowest part...over the islands will work if you're high enough. If you can get in the 12-14k range, you should be okay. Keep in mind that icing will be a factor this time of year.

I used to cross at 12k going up to DTW out of BKL in the caravan and I'd go over the islands going into BKL from DPA descending through about 15k at that point, IIRC...some nights I'd stay low but never lower than 8-10 depending if I got sent over CGT or LEWKE on the way out of Chicago. As much as I could tell with my math, I could either make the "mainland", the islands or Canada (BKL-DTW) at any given time. ATC was always very helpful and understood the whole single engine/cold water/hypothermia thing.

Go IFR and you shouldn't have much of a problem. I've got an FCC license, but I'm not sure if that's required or not. You'll probably talk to Cleveland Center the whole time, so I don't think Canadian ATC will come into play. If it does, just be ready for the "lingo", like "Radar Identified" vs "Radar Contact"...things like that.

Still, going over TOL and heading East from there would be my recommendation. Make just very slight cuts off of the corner of the lake. No more than you can glide to shore from.

-mini

There is is a little peninsula south of Leamington Airport (in Canada) that I was going to fly along, then over Peelee Island, then Kelleys Island to KSKY. The biggest gap was about 8 NM. Flying at 11,500, I calculate about 20nm of glide distance at a max. Thats with 0 winds. The maximum distance between land is 8 NM between all points.

But as its looking right now, I can't find an airplane to use tomorrow :( So my friends may be a little mad at me cause the plane I had, went down for mx issues and I got bumped off the schedule. And I don't think I will find someone who is checked out in a plane anytime soon thats in the area that would want to go to Cedar Point.

Yeah I know where you are. Up by ... some intersection. Hold on, I'll look...

Okay yeah if you came down V10 SSUNN Direct SKY you'll skirt just to the east of the islands. As long as you know you can glide it, then you should be good to go. But...

Cedar Point.

You're going to be very cold this time of year! :rotfl:

I'm interested in seeing Cedar Point next summer though...maybe we could get a fly-in or something set up. I'm a pilot and coaster nut that's afraid of heights. Makes perfect sense.

-mini

Yeah I know where you are. Up by ... some intersection. Hold on, I'll look...

Okay yeah if you came down V10 SSUNN Direct SKY you'll skirt just to the east of the islands. As long as you know you can glide it, then you should be good to go.

I was going to do VLL..SSUNN..SKY. But as it stands now, we're driving after I get off work tomorrow.

But...

You're going to be very cold this time of year! :rotfl:

I'm interested in seeing Cedar Point next summer though...maybe we could get a fly-in or something set up. I'm a pilot and coaster nut that's afraid of heights. Makes perfect sense.

-mini

Very cold is the plan ;) I'm going with a pretty hot chick who was concerned about the temperature, and I told her that I would keep her warm in lines by holding onto her nice and tight. haha

bBut I am all for Cedar Point again next summer. Maybe we can get a mini fly in to happen.

Very cold is the plan ;) I'm going with a pretty hot chick who was concerned about the temperature, and I told her that I would keep her warm in lines by holding onto her nice and tight. haha
superbad_movie_mclovin_with_hotie.jpg

I told her what time it is...

-mini

Flying Niagara to Detroit north of Erie VFR was easy. Just filed VFR, and got our special ADIZ sqwak code from IAG tower, and as long as we were in contact with Toronto the whole trip and got another code to cross back into the US, we were fine.

This was May '09

Absolutly 150% for trying a Cedar Point fly-in again. I fly over once or twice a year from Chicago, and will of course be going again next season. Maybe around March we start getting a June M+G together. Perhaps a two day thing with dinner and a trip to the islands or something too. Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hof is just 45nm down the lake too.

Absolutly 150% for trying a Cedar Point fly-in again. I fly over once or twice a year from Chicago, and will of course be going again next season. Maybe around March we start getting a June M+G together. Perhaps a two day thing with dinner and a trip to the islands or something too. Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hof is just 45nm down the lake too.

BKL. That was fun

I am all for that trip.

And for fun, the girl I am taking tomorrow is a promotional model. I know she will be all for flying there again in the Spring/Summer :D

I'm down for a M&G at The Point. I fly out of YIP... Originally hailing from the Buckeye state... I make many trips a year during the summer months!

RD

Back