Flying into PHX area from the east

How long were those flights?
Looking back, too long. lol

Great way to time build though. Average of about 8 hours. Quickest was about 6, longest was about 11.

Oh and the quickest was actually in the Archer not Seminole. Some people will say it was the 100+ Kts tailwind between SSO all the way to Gooch Springs, others will say it’s was the G1000 ;)

Looking back, too long. lol

Great way to time build though. Average of about 8 hours. Quickest was about 6, longest was about 11.

Oh and the quickest was actually in the Archer not Seminole. Some people will say it was the 100+ Kts tailwind between SSO all the way to Gooch Springs, others will say it’s was the G1000 ;)

Were any of these planes equipped with autopilot?

interesting. Because I often hear SoCal (rightfully) denying flight following to aircraft requesting it, as they’re usually busy as heck in the Riverside area during peak hours
Ahhh good ole 125.50
I’ve heard so many controllers chew out GA and lose their marbles on that specific frequency over riverside.

dont know why people even bother with flight following when VFR. It’s useless. It’s the lowest priority for ATC, even if they do give it to you. Just fly your own navigation, especially in these days of magenta following.

Out here, ATC does prefer you to ask for FF services, especially if you're anywhere near the DC SFRA. Very helpful bunch.

What the hell is the point of learning to fly then?
You learn to fly in them just like any other plane.
The purpose of the xc was for mx.

The students weren’t going up hitting AP and calling it a day. In fact the AP was hardly ever used during training other then to have the student gain familiarity with coupled approaches.

You learn to fly in them just like any other plane.
The purpose of the xc was for mx.

The students weren’t going up hitting AP and calling it a day. In fact the AP was hardly ever used during training other then to have the student gain familiarity with coupled approaches.

My school had a practice of asking comm students to move aircraft from SLC to CA for maintenance, or repositioning. They asked their elite/favored pilots to do it. Saying that it was a solid for the company and great opportunity to build hours and learn to fly x-country greater than 250 mi.

Then they got the surprise bill on their, Flight Schedule Pro account. :D

Flight schools are so shady!

My school had a practice of asking comm students to move aircraft from SLC to CA for maintenance, or repositioning. They asked their elite/favored pilots to do it. Saying that it was a solid for the company and great opportunity to build hours and learn to fly x-country greater than 250 mi.

Then they got the surprise bill on their, Flight Schedule Pro account. :D

Flight schools are so shady!
I don’t buy that. There’s no way a school can get away with that. That makes my blood boil if it’s true.

I don’t buy that. There’s no way a school can get away with that. That makes my blood boil if it’s true.

It's better that they're charging something rather than nothing at all. I've seen the opposite happen where schools were giving free flight time for repo flights to Private pilots. FAA takes a dim view of that....

dont know why people even bother with flight following when VFR. It’s useless. It’s the lowest priority for ATC, even if they do give it to you. Just fly your own navigation, especially in these days of magenta following.
for traffic advisories? The big sky isn’t always so big as I’m sure you’re aware. Just because it’s a low priority doesn’t mean you’re not still a priority. Our number 1 priority is to prevent a collision. Regardless of vfr or ifr

for traffic advisories? The big sky isn’t always so big as I’m sure you’re aware. Just because it’s a low priority doesn’t mean you’re not still a priority. Our number 1 priority is to prevent a collision. Regardless of vfr or ifr

this is true. But you can only work so much workload. I can see why flight following gets denied often by controllers who are obviously busy on their sector freq, while some dimwit calls up for flight following with completely non-concise blathering comms.

That person may or may not (definitely doesn’t) work at Las Vegas anymore
I kind of hope that other person isn't flying anymore either. If the VAS aviation radar track is to be trusted. Flying through the approach corridor of the landing runways between two airliners? Procedurally did she just forget to tell him to remain outside the Bravo? After that she seemed pretty reasonable given the situation at hand.

this is true. But you can only work so much workload. I can see why flight following gets denied often by controllers who are obviously busy on their sector freq, while some dimwit calls up for flight following with completely non-concise blathering comms.
I do think that’s why a lot of people get denied. Putting my former ATC hat on…
  • Know what you want to say before pushing the PTT button. Really, I’ve got more air time than most here and I do a quick run through in my head.
  • Use proper phraseology. SWA pilots are the worst. Because that‘s how you talk at a country western bar…
  • In a busy sector air time is valuable. Stop saying stupid things like “with you”, “checking in” and my personal favorite, ahhh ahhh ahhh.
  • Call me with “N triple nickel alpha eight ball“ and I’m going to be too busy For VFR.

Last edited:

I do think that’s why a lot of people get denied. Putting my former ATC hat on…
  • Know what you want to say before pushing the PTT button. Really, I’ve got more air time than most here and I do a quick run through in my head.
  • Use proper phraseology. SWA pilots are the worst. Because that‘s how you talk at a country western bar…
  • In a busy sector air time is valuable. Stop saying stupid things like “with you”, “checking in” and my personal favorite, ahhh ahhh ahhh.
  • Call me with “N triple nickel alpha eight ball“ and I’m going to be too busy For VFR.
Nothing like being on a frequency where it is so busy that you get a vector and an expect without even checking in, and some blathering fool not only takes forever to say what he's trying to say, but then steals someone else's vector and then argues about it. Miami last week. Would have been funny if there weren't thunderstorms and 20 planes going 4 miles a minute. Controller did great. That said, I'm getting flight following any time I can as a GA player if I'm not IFR.

I kind of hope that other person isn't flying anymore either. If the VAS aviation radar track is to be trusted. Flying through the approach corridor of the landing runways between two airliners? Procedurally did she just forget to tell him to remain outside the Bravo? After that she seemed pretty reasonable given the situation at hand.
Nobody who knew her was surprised she was yelling at a pilot. This was far from the first time. This just happened to be a bit more newsworthy

Back