flying in

clumpinglitter

Gredenko and I are considering flying to this. Anyone have advice on flying to ORD in a Warrior? We would fly during an off time, of course. It looks like there's a small landing fee and a "security screening fee" of almost $40 at Signature, and it also looks like Signature is the only FBO. I don't see any information on how much it costs to park there.

Is there a better alternative to ORD? I'm completely unfamiliar with Chicago, but I'm assuming we could get public transportation from MDW or another airport to the NetworkJC hotel and activities. Thanks for any help!

-C.

MDW is probably your best bet. It is easy to get into and out of, and close to the city and the "EL". I believe there is an $8 landing fee. You also have 3 different FBO's Million air, signature, and atlantic.

If my memory serve me correctly, it is about 25 dollars parking fee at PWK. However, they(signature) do waived it off when you purchased some fuel from them. This was around end of last summer.

MDW is probably your best bet. It is easy to get into and out of, and close to the city and the "EL". I believe there is an $8 landing fee. You also have 3 different FBO's Million air, signature, and atlantic.

You can try Gary International Airport GYY. There is a rail station on the other side of the airport and the FBO can give you transportation there. The South Shore Railroad(NICTD) runs that line. I wouldn't want to try ORD. MDW or any of the other neighbor airports are fine.:yeahthat: About the FBO's at MDW, you may have to ride the bus to the rail station(Orange line) since they are not on the east side of the airport. There are two bus routes that run the east-west route of the airport. Atlantic Aviation is inside the airport(Near the control tower) and you may need a car to get through in and out. There is a guard post that you have to go through(just show your ID). The others are on the street so it's easier.

Like others have said, your best bet is one of the other local airports. Unless you can hold 150 all the way to short final, ORD might not be too happy to see you. MDW is easy, GA friendly, and still gives you the 'big airport' feel with the Southwest flights. Atlantic is a nice FBO and has free cookies. :)

Don't worry guys, ORD is out of the question. Firewalled to hold final, inverted from wake turbulence and taking down a phone number to call after roll out asking what the **** we were thinking is not my style of airmanship.

Don't worry guys, ORD is out of the question. Firewalled to hold final, inverted from wake turbulence and taking down a phone number to call after roll out asking what the **** we were thinking is not my style of airmanship.

I thought you said you were up for an adventure. Hmph. :tease:

-C.

Whatever y'all decide, make sure you know the costs of landing and parking at the airports. Landing fees, security fees, parking fees, etc. can all add up quickly on you.

The FBOs are actually pretty straight forward over the phone when I've been asking about costs and anything hidden. All that's special is a $7.50 "facility use fee" at MDW. The problem with MDW is finding a window to get in between the big iron.

Did you all know that at precisely 9:39pm most nights Stone Cold flies about 2000' above my house on his nightly barnstorming? I can set my watch to it.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/USC607/history/20070131/0336Z/KSTP/KMDW

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. You must live on the cliff, or something???! I know you're on the East side now, just need to know what address to moon!!!

Just kidding, I don't do that any more!!!:)

Besides, I'm off-going now, so just sitting around, chilling, and getting paid for it. Just in case the other pilot gets sick or something. He'll probably be a little later than I normally am...he's still trying to get his freight dawg legs.

Not everybody does that?

:)

Tell me about it! It was always a shock going from the approach profiles that we had to use flying corporate missions into busy Bravos to the published profiles that we used when we were with students.

To all the folks who say you can't easily slow a Cirrus down . . . you're not doing something right! :)

Gredenko and I are considering flying to this. Anyone have advice on flying to ORD in a Warrior? We would fly during an off time, of course. It looks like there's a small landing fee and a "security screening fee" of almost $40 at Signature, and it also looks like Signature is the only FBO. I don't see any information on how much it costs to park there.

Is there a better alternative to ORD? I'm completely unfamiliar with Chicago, but I'm assuming we could get public transportation from MDW or another airport to the NetworkJC hotel and activities. Thanks for any help!

-C.

Hey - you guys still planning on flying in? I've got an instrument student who is also a very occasional JC member and we want to turn this into an Instrument XC for him. I was thinking PWK because it looks a little closer to ORD.

Hey - you guys still planning on flying in? I've got an instrument student who is also a very occasional JC member and we want to turn this into an Instrument XC for him. I was thinking PWK because it looks a little closer to ORD.

Yeah. The plan is to go to MDW, because according to the people at the Marriott, there's no way to get there from PWK unless we want to take a cab, and that will be too expensive. Fees at MDW aren't too bad, either.

-C.

Yeah. The plan is to go to MDW, because according to the people at the Marriott, there's no way to get there from PWK unless we want to take a cab, and that will be too expensive. Fees at MDW aren't too bad, either.

-C.

Good to know - thanks! There a train or something that goes from MDW to the hotel?

If anyone needs a ride from PWK to the Marriott I can help out. I live in the area and will be around all weekend. PWK would be much better time wise to fly into. Getting from MDW to the Marriott even with a car is a good 45 minutes by car. The only thing I have going on Friday is possibly the TRACON tour depending on if we have people to go. Let me know...no problem at all to provide rides.

Back