Flying for the DEA?

flyboy04

I was recently told by a friend that the DEA was hiring pilots and that he had a friend that does it and loves it. I also have an uncle that did it years ago. Does anyone else know anything about what kind of flying they do or what kind of cash you can expect?

I think it is the other side that pays in cash.
wink.gif

grin.gif

You must be hired as a special agent first, and expect to work investigations for up to two years before taking on collateral duty (aviation division). They fly a lot of GA assets, as well as Lears, helo's, and Citations (unless you're former military with goggle time, helo's are a LONG shot). The work is mostly aerial surviellance.

Pay starts anywhere from GS-5 to GS-9 depending on qualifications. Most S/A (special agent) applicants have graduate work, previous law enforcement/militaty experience, foreign language skills, and spotless records.

You're a criminal investigator first - flying comes in second, and is very mission oriented.

J.

They used to stop by the FBO I worked at in a modified Cessna 210 with a swiveling surveillance seat in the back and a bunch of funky looking antennas and other equipment inside.

Actually, awhile back the DEA was hiring pilots who didn't have to be agents first. It was contract work only and defintely on the dangerous side of things. They were flying modified OV-10's painted black with defoliant equipment (sprayers). Apparently there were used in South America to aid in drug eradication. Try searching for it online. There used to be photos of them floating around on the net.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, awhile back the DEA was hiring pilots who didn't have to be agents first. It was contract work only and defintely on the dangerous side of things. They were flying modified OV-10's painted black with defoliant equipment (sprayers). Apparently there were used in South America to aid in drug eradication. Try searching for it online. There used to be photos of them floating around on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the DEA hiring for that gig. Same thing looking for former military.

Back