Flying for an Asian Airline

golfkit

I am 25 and tired of my Engineering job. It makes pretty good money but not very satisfying. I used to think I would never pick up the "becoming a pilot" bug again, but now I am seriously considering getting a loan and go on with the training in US. I know it is going to be easy but I know I would be happier than I am now. I am from Hong Kong , so working in US might be a problem because I will need a green card and the number of US pilots looking for a job with the major will be working against me.

I am thinking soon or later I would like to fly for an asian airline. I would like to know what kind of licenses and training will I need in order to apply for an asian major airline. Will I have to get a JAA license? Is anyone on this board is working for a asian airline, any inside scoop about this career path? Is it practical to train in US and Thanks a lot and hope you all have a nice day.

BTW, anyone from asia on this board?
Anthony

Go to Cathay Pacific's website, they have a cadet pilot program where they teach you from the ground up. Its paid training. It doesnt get much better than that. I would apply but you have to be a Hong Kong resident. but it sounds like you qualify. check it out, and good luck.

-brian

[ QUOTE ]
Go to Cathay Pacific's website, they have a cadet pilot program where they teach you from the ground up. Its paid training. It doesnt get much better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

A practice the U.S. carriers may be forced to resume someday if the all-out assault on general aviation isn't stemmed soon.
frown.gif

I am currently going through the selection process. Waiting for my Stage II second interview. Heard there were 4000 people file in application and they are only going to select 40 candidates in 2004. Hopefully I can get in.

singapore airlines has a training program like that. it's for singapore citizens and residents. i glanced at th requirements, just out of curiousity, looks like they only consider VERY intelligent candidates.

Arn't all asians VERY intellegent?? Isn't that how the stereotype goes?
buck.gif
Just kidding, but I'm guessing by Very intellegent, you mean more than being able to find Singapore on a map.... which counts me out.....

[ QUOTE ]
singapore airlines has a training program like that. it's for singapore citizens and residents. i glanced at th requirements, just out of curiousity, looks like they only consider VERY intelligent candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was in Maroochydore near the end of last year which is where SIA cadets due some training in the Lear 45's. Was talking to an off-duty controller; only hear say but according to him the majority of the cadets already have a Masters before application. ouch -

Back