Flying car company granted FAA certificate, aims for 2025 release

Oxman

1688572497941.png

A flying car company has received special airworthiness certification from the Federal Aviation Administration.

California-based Alef Aeronautics says it’s working on a car that will be street-legal with vertical takeoff and landing capabilities.

"We're excited to receive this certification from the FAA,” CEO Jim Dukhovny said in a news release. “It allows us to move closer to bringing people an environmentally friendly and faster commute, saving individuals and companies hours each week.

Alef says its flying car is electric, with a driving range of 200 miles and a flight range of 110 miles.

The company says its car is being designed to fit within the existing urban infrastructure for driving and parking. And it has flight stabilization systems and safety features, such as enclosed propellers and a full-vehicle ballistic parachute.

The two-occupant car has been on preorder since the fall, and they hope to start delivering the cars by late 2025.

The cars carry a $300,000 price tag, with preorder deposits ranging from $150 to $1,500.

The company said in January that it had received over 440 preorders.

An FAA spokesperson confirmed with Fox Business that the government issued a special airworthiness certificate last month. That allows the company to use the flying car in a limited way, including exhibitions, research and development.

Alef says the FAA is working on policies pertaining to such a vehicle.

Alef was founded in 2015 and has been testing the Alef full-size prototype since 2019.

Is that the Terrafugia? Oh wait, that was going to be the flying car of 2006.

The CEO acknowledged that the Alef Model A's driving speed won't exceed 25 mph. Fine. My 94-year-old 1929 Ford Model A won't fly, but it drives at TWICE that speed, carries four people and costs a fraction of the Alef's $300,000 price tag.

How would these perform in hot humid weather at high elevation areas or in icing conditions at low altitudes? I’m just curious if these companies have actually done the research on actual flying conditions because it’s not as simple as just hopping in and flying. We aren’t at Blade Runner types of environments yet. Even if we were, there was a lot of IFR weather in Blade Runner. Just sayin.

I’ve always heard the ball turret on a B-17 was probably the last place any sane person would want to be. Some radio show was talking about this thing as I was driving through the gate at the airport this morning, I thought to myself that it would be nice to have if I had a habit of forgetting my access card.

So not
Who keeps financing these projects? It’s a segment of the industry that’s had about as much success as a submarine with a window.

Blows me a way as well, and continues to baffle me how people with money managed to hang on to that money.

This guy not only has enough funding to run this project, but can also afford to look like a hipster undertaker that caters to hippie communes.

Who keeps financing these projects? It’s a segment of the industry that’s had about as much success as a submarine with a window.
Oh you've seen "forward looking statements"

Remember how the Segway was going to revolutionize the world? :)

To be clear, Orange Julius is a righteous destination, well worth the hustle. Doubly so if there is a Hot Sam next door.
Are either around any more? I'll have to Alta Vista that.

Back