Flying and Math

tripleseven

Hi everyone....As my high school career ends next month I will be right back in school at a local Community College where I live. the Associate of Arts degree im pursuing is Computer Science. However I noticed a majority of the classes are math based (ex. Calculus 1/2, Finite Mathematics). I also hope to get a BA in Computer Science at a four year university after community college.

So, my question is how much will this math based major help me in becoming a pilot? Will it be helpful in the long run to have a solid background in math? Thank you for your help.

Other than mental math and being able to do simple arithmetic, it won't help directly.

However it will help indirectly. If you do well in those classes, you will graduate with a good QCA and land a well paying job which will pay for your flight training.
grin.gif

Mahesh

An extensive background in math is not necessary, but it WILL help out, specifically for mental math. I constantly practice my mental math and try to come up with short and easy formulas for groundspeed checks, fuel burn, etc. Sure my E6B can do the job, but you cannot place your faith in technology.

Practice your mental math a bit every day (for example, when I drive on the highway, I alway use my groundspeed and make estimates for my ETA when I pass road signs telling me how much farther I have to go). It will increase your confidence and thus make you a better pilot.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure my E6B can do the job, but you cannot place your faith in technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is an E6B really "technology"??

laugh.gif

I concur with what's said about mental math. It's very helpful to be able to manipulate numbers in your head quickly. Don't think you need to be a whiz at advanced math to be a good pilot...thank God.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sure my E6B can do the job, but you cannot place your faith in technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is an E6B really "technology"??

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, you beat me to it!
grin.gif

Back