IMG_0096.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 213
Yeah, that's the DMI yard where I've seen the intact P-3s. Are these for your company, or for a foreign? The NASA C-130 in one of the pics was just transferred from one yard to another, and is a pretty famous, though not extremely well known, bird: N707NA

There are four P-3's in the yard that we work in. One is for Korea, two more are for Brazil (which we are doing the work on) and one other is a strike/parts bird.

There are four P-3's in the yard that we work in. One is for Korea, two more are for Brazil (which we are doing the work on) and one other is a strike/parts bird.

Nice! In the yard right next to you to the west (where the chopped C-130 fuselages are), there are a couple of dismantled F-105 Thud's sitting there and (IIRC) an F-111 dismantled too. Cool birds. Another small yard just right next to you used to have a bunch of older model A-4s, but most of those are gone and just a few F-86 dismantled forward fuselages are there. Cool stuff!

That C-123 could come in very handy to JC Air America......

Airframe-wise, how do the P-3As differ from the B/C? And prior to conversion to firefighter (if being converted at all), do they have to be flown out of DMA with an FE?

Nice! In the yard right next to you to the west (where the chopped C-130 fuselages are), there are a couple of dismantled F-105 Thud's sitting there and (IIRC) an F-111 dismantled too. Cool birds. Another small yard just right next to you used to have a bunch of older model A-4s, but most of those are gone and just a few F-86 dismantled forward fuselages are there. Cool stuff!

That C-123 could come in very handy to JC Air America......

Airframe-wise, how do the P-3As differ from the B/C? And prior to conversion to firefighter (if being converted at all), do they have to be flown out of DMA with an FE?
Not sure how the flew out our previous conversions, but more of a company rule for the FE, which mostly stems out of the fact that myself and two of our FE's are the only ones formally trained by the Navy. Add to that most of the FE systems (AC Press/DeIce, etc) are disabled in the Tankers. Actually my copilot on this one was a former RAG instructor (good thing since we had a prop overspeed and pitchlock shortly after takeoff). The P-3As and some Bs are considered "light weight" P-3s. The Bravo's came on early so most of the Alphas were retired early, so they are relatively low airframe times. The HW bravo's added the -14 engines, and increased max takeoff weight originally by 7500 pounds, and an increase in the zero fuel weight. Most of the Alpha's only had dual AHRS or 1 AHRS and 1 LTN-72, and the latter P-3s all had dual LTN-72s.

Not sure how the flew out our previous conversions, but more of a company rule for the FE, which mostly stems out of the fact that myself and two of our FE's are the only ones formally trained by the Navy. Add to that most of the FE systems (AC Press/DeIce, etc) are disabled in the Tankers. Actually my copilot on this one was a former RAG instructor (good thing since we had a prop overspeed and pitchlock shortly after takeoff). The P-3As and some Bs are considered "light weight" P-3s. The Bravo's came on early so most of the Alphas were retired early, so they are relatively low airframe times. The HW bravo's added the -14 engines, and increased max takeoff weight originally by 7500 pounds, and an increase in the zero fuel weight. Most of the Alpha's only had dual AHRS or 1 AHRS and 1 LTN-72, and the latter P-3s all had dual LTN-72s.

How long did it take to get the airplane ready for flight, and how many mechanics were there involved? Also, is that a picture of a Carribu that you attached?

Two mechanics, the biggest holdup was waiting on the prop overhaul from the sub contractor.

Nope I believe it is the C-123, which is why Mike wants it for Air America. :)

I swear I could spend all day in a boneyard like that. Just to imagine the history and story of these planes.

I say all day, as long as it's not 120 outside. :)

Area 5150

Two mechanics, the biggest holdup was waiting on the prop overhaul from the sub contractor.

Nope I believe it is the C-123, which is why Mike wants it for Air America. :)

No - the one just previous to it. It seems to be a DeHaviland of some sort with the weird "hunched" cockpit. Maybe like a DeHaviland Dove, but was also thinking perhaps a caribou.

EDIT: Not a Caribou - but the cockpit section does look lile a Dehaviland Dove.

No - the one just previous to it. It seems to be a DeHaviland of some sort with the weird "hunched" cockpit. Maybe like a DeHaviland Dove, but was also thinking perhaps a caribou.

EDIT: Not a Caribou - but the cockpit section does look lile a Dehaviland Dove.

That 3rd pic is the nose section of a Vickers Viscount.

That 3rd pic is the nose section of a Vickers Viscount.

I remember the big press events in ATL when Capital started bringing these screaming mimis in. 4 Darts just raisin' hell. But note the size of those windows and their location. It was a very good view. FWIW, note the difference in the engines and props on the Viscount and the Convair behind it.
06%20Viscount.jpg

Was going to ask you.....

Do you or the mechs get to "shop around" the P-3s in the boneyard for which ones you want to pull out and refurb for flight out of there and delivery to the customers?

Or does the USN or its P-3 program manager reps preselect the particular BuNo P-3 they want to sell to these nations? I assume these are Foreign Mil Sales (FMS) program birds (ie- going to a new life as ASW birds again)?

Was going to ask you.....

Do you or the mechs get to "shop around" the P-3s in the boneyard for which ones you want to pull out and refurb for flight out of there and delivery to the customers?

Or does the USN or its P-3 program manager reps preselect the particular BuNo P-3 they want to sell to these nations? I assume these are Foreign Mil Sales (FMS) program birds (ie- going to a new life as ASW birds again)?
The Brazilians did this with the FMS folks, we are just the taxi drivers. We have made recommendations of the 12 they bought which ones are in the best shape. Mostly FMS makes the recommendations to the Foreign country. For the airtanker business, we take what is offered and then decide. Biggest hurdle is if the FAA will accept the bird.

Are these bone yards accessible to the public?

Mike is correct, but it depends on the meaning of the word "accessible". There are bus tours conducted, but visitors are not allowed off the bus.

There is a civilian equivalent yard down the road and they are far less accommodating than the military.

Back