Flying 737 under Part 91, anyone here done it?

Josh

Anyone done it?

From the right seat, I'd need:

Commercial (if I was getting paid for it)
Multi rating (to be rated in the aircraft)

Type rating would not be required if not under 135/121 etc., correct?
What about a high altitude endorsement (I think not, right)?

This is a serious question, as to if it is possible. I have a real reason for wanting to know.

And this would not be ACTING as PIC ever, but just sit right seat, and log time. And nothing would prevent me from taking controls and LOGGING PIC as the sole manipulator then, right?

Thanks,
Josh

Well the 737 is certified as a two pilot aircraft, including requiring the captain to have a type rating and a qualified and trained co-pilot.

You couldn't log PIC unless you had a type rating in the aircraft.

I think all you need is a private, a multi-engine rating, an instrument rating, and second-in-command training on the 737.

Now an interesting question would be if you even need a multi-engine rating because you're not going to be acting as PIC of the jet.

Since you'd be a required crewmember, I'd guess that high-altitude, high-performance and comm-multi are probably all required.

The captain thing is covered as far as him having type ratings.

So what is the qualified and training received co-pilot I guess is the question?

Now it comes to weird stuff, here, but I wouldn't log the PIC time without a type, or I wouldn't be able to act as PIC? Wouldn't it be under "sole manipulator of the controls" to log it as PIC?

Of course, don't think it would be possible for the type rating without having multi, would it?

Heck, I'd be fine with the SIC time, just trying to understand when/if it would be something I could log as PIC if this thing goes on enough to make it worth it.

Josh

"Now it comes to weird stuff, here, but I wouldn't log the PIC time without a type, or I wouldn't be able to act as PIC? Wouldn't it be under "sole manipulator of the controls" to log it as PIC?"

I've never heard of an F.O. logging PIC, even if they were the sole maniputator, as far as I know, it's just not done.

In order to write anything under the PIC column in your logbook you MUST have a type rating in the aircraft. Period. Regardless if you're the captain sitting the left seat, FO sitting in the right, or a passengar sittin' on the crapper - even if you have your hands on the controls in order to put it in the PIC column you must have a type rating.

Second - just to confuse things a little more - do you know for a fact that the airplane is part 91? Just because it's not an airline or charter operation don't automatically assume that it's Part 91. Many large aircraft such as the 737 when flown privatley are operated under FAR Part 125 - it's kind of like a special Part 91 for lack of better explanation. It sets forth several requirements including an operations manual which will probably(maybe) set forth minimum experience and training requirements for each crewmember. Just because you have the comm/multi/inst cert. doesn't automatically mean that you can just hope in the seat and go flying.

Jason

Honest question here. An FO for SWA can't log PIC when sole manipulator of the aircraft? After all, he/she is type rated in the aircraft (prereq for the job).

Well SWA pilots techically could log PIC time on the legs they fly since they are type rated in the 737. Under Part 61 they are the sole manipulators of the controls and they are typed so it's legal. I would bet that you wouldn't be able find one single pilot that does for several reasons - one is that at that point in your career logging PIC time just simply isn't that big of a deal - it just doesn't matter. Second, and most importantly, the professional aviation world tends to operate under the FAR 1 definition of PIC which is "...the person responsible for the overall safety of the flight..." or something like that - in short under FAR 1 definitioin there is only one PIC and that's the Captain. When interviewing for airline jobs and they ask for your PIC time they want the time that you were the CAPTAIN not the time that you were the FO and the sole manipulator of the controls.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
one is that at that point in your career logging PIC time just simply isn't that big of a deal - it just doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point.

[ QUOTE ]
Honest question here. An FO for SWA can't log PIC when sole manipulator of the aircraft? After all, he/she is type rated in the aircraft (prereq for the job).

[/ QUOTE ]

The captain is still the pilot ultimately responsible for the safety of the aircraft, though. I'm not sure if someone on a 737 CAN be 'sole' manipulator of the controls since it is a two pilot a/c.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

There can only be one PIC -- plus, considering that the captain signs the "release", that pretty much establishes who is actually PIC.

I flew on SWA this weekend from Little Rock to New Orleans. I got to go up in the cockpit on one our stops in Dallas. The first officer told me that you don't have to have a type rating in the 737 anymore PRIOR to the interview. He said you could be hired under the condition that you are to obtain a type rating before new hire class starts. Man!!!!!!!!!!! the 737 has a lot more buttons, knobs, and dials then the cessna 172 I'm used to flying
wink.gif
Smokey............................................................................

Pretty sure this would all remain under part 91. Would mostly be for a ferry/recovery of aircraft sort of thing. I'll have to check into what 125 is to make sure. But this is done now, and under part 91 currently I believe.

Back