Flying 10 hours a month

schuh

I got a job now and i can afford to pay cash for 10 hours of flight training a month.

Question is how long will it take to get all my ratings? I am going to start flying again next week. Very excited.;)

Question is how long will it take to get all my ratings?

the short answer to that (and you aren't going to like this) is that if anyone tells you exactly how long it will take, they are lying to you. it's impossible for any instructor to know how quickly a student will progress or what part of the training will bog them down. and that goes for every rating.

now the good news is that you're in a position to train relatively consistently. the one guaranteed way to slow yourself down is to take long breaks. i'd suggest you spread the 10 hrs out evenly so you don't have any big gaps (say 5 days at the beginning, 7-10 later on) between flights. you might even think about saving up for two months first, and then starting. i know that seems like a terrible idea now that you've made your decision, but flying 20 hrs a month, or at least the potential to, would give you the best chance for moving along as quickly and efficiently as possible.

for the big picture, you're probably looking at two years of training at the rate of 10 hrs a month, to go through commercial. that'd be the minimum amount of time you'd need. i have had students earn a private certificate in under 50 hrs in just a couple months, and i've also seen a guy fly over 200 hrs across two years earning his. just remember to enjoy your time training and if you aren't having fun and learning constantly, look at changing instructors. it's your money, get what you pay for! flight training can be hard work at times, but it's always fun and definitely rewarding. my time getting all my ratings was some of the most fun i've had flying. of course, having the money flow in the other direction is pretty nice, too. :D

best of luck to you!

250 hrs to Comm / 10 = 25 months. Unless you are in a part 141 school 250 hrs is the minimum hrs required to take the CSEL or CMEL. This is about the pace I have been flying and almost at the Comm now after starting Memorial Day weekend '07! Obviously more on top of that for CFI etc

Ok thanks guys. 2 years doesn't sound to bad. Since the economy sucks now it doesn't really matter if I got it done in 1 year. Im just going to think of it like going to a 2 year college

For my PVT I racked up:
May: 14.6
June: 13.6
July: 14.0

Aug: 4.6 Checkride and some pre-checkride stuff.

If I were you I would save the cash for a few months while studying ground material.

Then hit it hard, fly 20hrs a month if you can. In the end you will spend less time in the air (and less $) since you will retain more knowledge between lessons.

After you get the private you can scale it back a bit, and fly less as you build time and experience toward your next training event.

It's always better to do your ratings all at once but if you want to space it out try to do at least 2 flights per week. Good luck. Have you soloed yet?

250 hrs to Comm / 10 = 25 months. Unless you are in a part 141 school 250 hrs is the minimum hrs required to take the CSEL or CMEL. This is about the pace I have been flying and almost at the Comm now after starting Memorial Day weekend '07! Obviously more on top of that for CFI etc

You can go to a comm checkride with less than 250 in a part 61 environment too. You can use a certain number of hours (50 i think) in an approved FTD toward the commercial certificate under part 61. I'm not talking about a PCATD or things like that, but an FTD with an approval letter from the FSDO.

Yep up to 50 hours of that can be used towards the commercial.

It's ok, wouldn't do more sim that I would have to. I have 16 hours and it sucks!

Back