Fly or sail?

Don't do that - being a professional mariner is nothing like boating recreationally. just like being an airline pilot is nothing like being a weekend warrior. I made that mistake going the other way.

I agree with that, though a number of the traditional maritime academies now offer non-traditional degrees with specializations in small boats. I don't know these programs very well, but the one local to me sounds like a B.S. Degree with a specialization in marine sciences, and you get a 100T near-coastal ticket. Seems like an interesting concept, but for anyone with access to getting good sea time it is pretty easy to get that license on your own.

But seriously, If this whole flying thing doesn't work out, I would totally look in to going to a Maritime Academy.

If that's the case, join the Navy. Better pay, more excitement, maybe even combine both flying and the maritime experience.
2244480886_02e91f73e3.jpg

Trust me I'd LOVE to do that. Unfortunately, I'm blind as a bat without my contacts. Although surface warfare seems pretty enticing.

I'm don't know what the current limits are on eye sight, but if it does interest you and you have a college degree, a visit with a recruiter is every pilot's favorite word: FREE.

There are also non-pilot flying careers such as a NFO in an S-3, P-3 or E-2. Aboard ship there's everything from Mess Officer to Weapons Officer. You could be one of these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuRvHV6_1eQ

If that's the case, join the Navy. Better pay, more excitement, maybe even combine both flying and the maritime experience.

Is the Navy really better pay? Kids shipping out of Maine Maritime Academy after graduation are often starting out with $80K salaries or better. I have no idea what the military pays, so I am asking an honest question.

Is the Navy really better pay? Kids shipping out of Maine Maritime Academy after graduation are often starting out with $80K salaries or better. I have no idea what the military pays, so I am asking an honest question.

I've never done a pure dollars and cents analysis, but like airline pilot "pay", it's more than simply the salary. There is benefits, additional pay, retirement, medical, quality of life (e.g. time away from home), enjoyment of the job, etc.

Ensign pay is $2,655.30 plus allowances and benefits. Over $32,000/year. Expect to be a Lieutenant (O-3) in five years bringing monthly pay up to $4722.90 per month.

http://www.navy.com/benefits/financial/

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2009MilitaryPayTables.pdf

Regardless what career path a person chooses, the importance of simply enjoying your career choice(s) cannot be overemphasized. It's better to make $50,000 a year and love every day than $100,000 and hate every day. Just my two cents worth.

Regardless what career path a person chooses, the importance of simply enjoying your career choice(s) cannot be overemphasized. It's better to make $50,000 a year and love every day than $100,000 and hate every day. Just my two cents worth.

I second this.

It depends on why you would be going into the Navy as a surface type just like people going into the military to fly... If you're trying to get your mariner's licenses, out of the deal - well no - it would be better to do the Coast Guard - as least Coast Guard Officers end up with their mates and masters certs. In the Navy, no surface warfare officer has a mariner's cert. as they only spend their first two tours (about 36-48 months) driving ships. After the first two sea tours most officers bail - it's about a 25% retention rate to continue on.

There is no streamlined process for Navy surface officers to getting a mariner's cert, like there is for military aviators getting an FAA airmans certificate. You'd have to track and log your own sea time, then the coast guard credits you 1/2 the time towards the required sea experience to sit for the 3d mates cert. So you'd be going through the process as a straight civilian doing the certification process. Plus you'd still need to go through the STCW courses - stuff you did do in the Navy but it was all OJT not formal courses and so you get no credit for that either.

I agree with that, though a number of the traditional maritime academies now offer non-traditional degrees with specializations in small boats. I don't know these programs very well, but the one local to me sounds like a B.S. Degree with a specialization in marine sciences, and you get a 100T near-coastal ticket. Seems like an interesting concept, but for anyone with access to getting good sea time it is pretty easy to get that license on your own.

Didn't know that. That would be interesting though, the 100T ticket is definitely more useful than the OUPV.

Trust me I'd LOVE to do that. Unfortunately, I'm blind as a bat without my contacts. Although surface warfare seems pretty enticing.

Surface warfare is pretty exciting, but like all things, things tend to get old after doing them several times, so you have to have more than a "sense of adventure and looking for exciting things to do" to be a reason for becoming a surface officer.

I think the coolest deployment I've done is a NATO deployment - a squadron of NATO warships from all the different NATO navies, we hit a port every weekend. Getting underway was an excuse to get to the next port and to give the sailors a chance of recouperating from the last port visit. Along the way you did "naval maneuvers." I found out real quick that the Spanish didn't hesitate to shoot you if you were in the way of their target.

FWIW, I really appreciate the responses and suggestions so far. Yes, I would be looking at getting a boat big enough for 4-8 people for a day. I also want a sailboat.

I have not had the most pleasant of experiences in my flying-life lately, which has put me in a downer mood about flying in general.

Too much paperwork, too much stress, too many meetings, too little "fun" in little planes for me lately. I have not given up, and i have a lesson in spins/spin prevention scheduled for this sunday, so we'll see.

FWIW, I really appreciate the responses and suggestions so far. Yes, I would be looking at getting a boat big enough for 4-8 people for a day. I also want a sailboat.

I have not had the most pleasant of experiences in my flying-life lately, which has put me in a downer mood about flying in general.

Too much paperwork, too much stress, too many meetings, too little "fun" in little planes for me lately. I have not given up, and i have a lesson in spins/spin prevention scheduled for this sunday, so we'll see.

I got a line on a nice 41' Morgan sailboat that a friend just wants to sell.. beautiful boat that would easily sail to the Bahamas or even Bermuda. I'd love to have a partner if anybody's interested. I'd even go so far as to split the time 50/50 so somebody from up north could keep it in the summer (hurricane season here in Florida) and I'll keep it in winter (cold season in yankee country) If anybody is.. might be interested in at least checking it out, send me a PM.

Oh, and it's NOT the boat pictured in my avatar

I fly for a living but sail for fun. If I were in your position I would pick sailing and get a boat big enough for the family to stay a night or two comfortably.

I got a line on a nice 41' Morgan sailboat that a friend just wants to sell.

Is it the aft cockpit 41 from the late 60's? Those are pretty cool old boats; looks like a variation of Bill Tripps Block Island 40 or Bermuda 40. I would not say the same thing about the center cockpit Morgans from the 80's that look like battleships and sail about as well! If you want a good sailing boat I would avoid the latter, which I think is called a Morgan Out Island, but I will say the are comfortable and probably very inexpensive.

Any chance this is the one you know? http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/12296

Is it the aft cockpit 41 from the late 60's? Those are pretty cool old boats; looks like a variation of Bill Tripps Block Island 40 or Bermuda 40. I would not say the same thing about the center cockpit Morgans from the 80's that look like battleships and sail about as well! If you want a good sailing boat I would avoid the latter, which I think is called a Morgan Out Island, but I will say the are comfortable and probably very inexpensive.

Any chance this is the one you know? http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/12296

No that is not the same one. That has been on sailnet for awhile though, and I keep thinking about going and taking a look at it too. But it is basically the same boat. Aft cockpit. Nice boat overall. I really would like to find a partner and maybe the missus would be interested :) (in the boat) :rotfl:

Back