Fly First Class!

Windchill

Okay, so we're watching Good Morning America or some show like it on the news this morning here at work, and they were talking to two guys who apparently are suing Boeing and others for problems associated with:

Economy Class Syndrome.

Didn't realize this was a problem . . . I've been on several long flights without experiencing a problem (IAD-CDG [Paris]) and (EWR-Prague).

Has anyone ever experienced this or know more about it . . . I read an article online about a lady who died at Heathrow after a flight from Australia and something to do with how the blood clots and so forth.

When I first listened to this guy, all I'm thinking is we really do live in the "Land of Lawsuits (Opportunity)"

Pilots have problems with this since their movement may be a little more restricted?

<disclaimer>didn't see the report myself</disclaimer>

I suspect this is more of the continuing saga of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) ... blood clots that form in the legs after sitting still for a long time (like on long intl flights) and not moving around. Good argument for all of us on those long flights (as passenger OR pilot) to get up and walk around every couple hours. I've crossed the pond a handful of times and always try to walk a little bit in flight, have yet to experience any problems.

FL270

Ah, yes. There were a couple of lawsuits about this and I believe they were dismissed. I sure hope this one gets dismissed as well.

I personally can't sit still on a transcon and those are only five hours long. I have to get up and move about on those. It would seem like common sense to me -- especially if you intend to do anything when you get to where you're going on a long flight -- to get up, move around, stretch the muscles out, and so on.

But maybe I'm just insane or something.

Here is the url: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/08/eveningnews/main587407.shtml

First of all, it's not the airlines fault that this happens. DVT, blood clots, & airlines are not related. This guy looks like a business man from what I have heard on the news this evening & he probably travels often meaning that he should know this type of stuff by now. You see, he's just trying to take the easy way out by sueing to get money. Okay, why sue American. Why not sue an airline who has 31" or 32" seats onboard. Also, fly another airline instead. Or maybe, upgrade to first class. Or perhaps, walk around the cabin. Yes, it's a little bit harder on the regionals, but you probably won't be on the them long. On larger airplanes, such as 767's or even F100's or MD-80's, I sure don't have a problem moving about the cabin & I'm 6' 1 or 2" tall. I mean, come on........................
mad.gif

Oh, & by the way...the lawsuit against American Airlines for this hasn't been dropped....

Well....it ain't from flying in coach.

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,203338-1-6,00.html

Tests on 899 volunteer passengers on London-Johannesburg South African Airways flights in April and May last year showed the risk did exist on long flights, but that the class in which the passenger travelled made no difference.

Now, I think that both the source of the reporting (New Zealand) and the country where they conducted the study (South Africa) have a lot of experience with long distance flights!

Back