McDonnell Douglas Lounge Fly DC Jets

I remember watching the brand new MD-11 as it was undergoing flight testing in 1990 at MDs facility at Yuma MCAS.

If you all want to talk old school. :)

MD-11 sim #315 was the first full motion sim I’d ever flown. My wife bought an hour of MD-11 Sim time from Alteon for my birthday way back when in 2000/2001.

We made a day trip out of it drove up to Long Beach and flew with some salty old retired airline captain.

When I made the decision to be a pilot I had wanted to end up at World because of the Freedom Bird flights and the AMC charter contracts.

Never to be unfortunately. Only was ever a passenger crammed in with other service members and dependents to and from Japan. And many FedEx jumpseat flights to ORD from AFW.

Glad to see sim 315 is still active just they moved it across the country to Miami from Long Beach sometime in the last 23 years.

I interviewed at World in 89 but was not successful. Had never flown a big sim before and all was well until going visual on the ILS and trying to land. I was all over the place over correcting. Rest of the interview was fine but World was putting guys straight into the right seat of a DC10 so they were looking for more competency. World was using the CAL sim at LAX back then.

Y’all are being too nice to me. What @ASpilot2be is really saying is he will get me talking then I don’t shut up. Especially if it’s about sports.

The SkyWest Denver flying sucked but I did enjoy that Crashpad. Nicest one I’ve had in my career.
Hahaha. I don't think we ever talked sports which is shocking.

It was an awesome crashpad. I do miss that part of being based in Denver.

Flew my last flight on the 717 the other week before switching to the 75/76. It was cool to be able to fly an MD before they’re all gone. If I could’ve flown it somewhere other than PHL, EWR, STL, and MCI on repeat I probably would’ve stayed longer.

Learning the Boeing now and I already miss PROF and the push/pull knobs on the autopilot.

I won’t miss the wipers, god awful lnav approaches, and leaking windows.

Flew my last flight on the 717 the other week before switching to the 75/76. It was cool to be able to fly an MD before they’re all gone. If I could’ve flown it somewhere other than PHL, EWR, STL, and MCI on repeat I probably would’ve stayed longer.

Learning the Boeing now and I already miss PROF and the push/pull knobs on the autopilot.

I won’t miss the wipers, god awful lnav approaches, and leaking windows.

We had to do a go around on the 330 a few months ago, and all three of us upfront were former 717 pilots, and we all knew exactly what the Captain meant when he said "map, nav, prof".

Back