Florida and Georgia Airline History

Pilot Fighter

Stumbled across this fascinating website.

LOL'd at this poor bastard who had to stand in full getup in the presumably hot florida sun next to a plane painted like a taxi cab.
The things we did for multi time...

1724893439019.png

Last edited:
Ooooh really? When was that? Bonus points if the gear up horn could be heard in the calls to ATC
Heh. My first save as a tower ATC was a Bonanza that was divebombing final with the gear up.

“Bonanza 123, check gear down.”

“*reeeeeeee* What? *reeeeeee*”

“Bonanza 123, your gear appears to be up, recommend go around.”

After a long pause - he had to have been coming down 2000 fpm or more the whole time - he comes back

“*reeeeeeee* Nah we’re good.”

Somehow they got out in time, but he absolutely pancaked the runway. Pretty sure I saw sparks. He rolled/skidded to a stop and asked for a tug.

Wish I would’ve saved that tape.

LOL'd at this poor bastard who had to stand in full getup in the presumably hot florida sun next to a plane painted like a taxi cab.
The things we did for multi time...

View attachment 79490
That was my thought before I read your actual post. Although, at least that was before global warming made things worse. When I moved to FL in 2005, I recall having to wear a jacket in the winters. By the time I left in 2019, I hadn't worn a jacket there in several years.

Which one
1902210_orig.jpg

Back in August 2008, Horizon announced they were going to all Q400 fleet/furloughing 100 people. I was safe at the point, but was looking elsewhere. Wings Air offered to get my ATP, and make me a check airman...so I jumped at the chance and got a leave of absence from QX (and saved someone's job, for a while). It was "interesting" operation in its own right. Owner was "odd" to say the least. I was there Oct 2008 till Feb 2009, as their entire business plan was to get the EAS contract. (which, they honestly should have).

After that, I went back to Horizon in Feb 2009, only to get the dreaded "We need to furlough just 25 more pilots", of which I was in the dead center of. Furloughed May 2009.

Probably the lowest point of my aviation career. 2 flying jobs gone, not one flying job out there...couldn't even get Banana Republic to give me a call back. Was out of flying from May 2009 till Feb 2010, when I got a job flying a 414 in Atlanta. That job was sent to me by someone from JC :)

1902210_orig.jpg

Back in August 2008, Horizon announced they were going to all Q400 fleet/furloughing 100 people. I was safe at the point, but was looking elsewhere. Wings Air offered to get my ATP, and make me a check airman...so I jumped at the chance and got a leave of absence from QX (and saved someone's job, for a while). It was "interesting" operation in its own right. Owner was "odd" to say the least. I was there Oct 2008 till Feb 2009, as their entire business plan was to get the EAS contract. (which, they honestly should have).

After that, I went back to Horizon in Feb 2009, only to get the dreaded "We need to furlough just 25 more pilots", of which I was in the dead center of. Furloughed May 2009.

Probably the lowest point of my aviation career. 2 flying jobs gone, not one flying job out there...couldn't even get Banana Republic to give me a call back. Was out of flying from May 2009 till Feb 2010, when I got a job flying a 414 in Atlanta. That job was sent to me by someone from JC :)
Pretty sure 9K was still hiring at that point, but I'm not sure. Seemed like '08-'10 we were winning all kinds of EAS contracts and collecting furloughed airline guys and gals looking for a port in the storm to staff them.

That was my thought before I read your actual post. Although, at least that was before global warming made things worse. When I moved to FL in 2005, I recall having to wear a jacket in the winters. By the time I left in 2019, I hadn't worn a jacket there in several years.

In January 2014 we had the oven door open like a fireplace trying to keep warm. Was in the 20’s for 4 days in a row.

Back