Flight training loans???

[ QUOTE ]
Any good eats in KC Sarah?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want great, fatty food, try Stroud's for Pan-Fried Chicken and some other southern style dishes. There's one up north and one south (Holmes and 85th or so).

Houston's on the Plaza is great too, but is a chain.

Ok. If you are flying in to MKC and want a GREAT place to visit/eat, go to Chappell's in North Kansas City. It's less than 5 minutes from the field. It's a sports bar - although they have many 'higher end' dishes like steaks and salmon, etc. What you are REALLY going for, though (even though the food is great) is to see the INCREDIBLE collection of sports memorabilia that the owner has. Every time I go, I see something new. I don't even want to know what all that stuff is valued at. Everything is autographed, and a lot of it is very very old. You won't regret it. Chappell's

If you want steak, I suggest Plaza III on the Plaza or the Hereford House, which is just north of the Crown Center/Union Station area. Pierpont's in Union station has pretty good steak and great seafood (for the midwest
wink.gif
), and you can't beat the atmosphere. Lidia's is in that same area and has killer Italian dishes. (I recommend doing the pasta tasting deal, where they have several types of pasta that they bring around for you to try, and it's all you can eat). For the less tragically hip italian fans, Garozzo's in the River Market area is excellent. If you like seafood, McCormick and Schmick's on the Plaza is good, if you like oriental, PF Chang's, though both are chains and on the latter be prepared for waits up to 3 hours if you don't have a reservation.

If you want a quick eat, Kelso's in NKC has great Pizza and Paul & Jack's is a little hole-in-the-wall sports bar that we hit all the time after we go flying.

If you are willing to drive, I also recommend Stroud's. If you know about Lambert's, Stroud's is very similar but IMHO much much better.

OH crap, barbeque, how can I forget? Gate's is good, as is Fiorella's Jack Stack. the latter would be a pretty good drive. Arthur Bryant's is another famous joint in town, however, their sauce is a bit too tangy/sour for my taste.

MKC doesn't have a restaurant on field. STJ, TOP, and K81 are the nearest. K81 is a hoot! I flew my mom and sister down there for breakfast last Sunday morning.

I could keep going, but, that's enough to keep you busy for several trips! If anyone makes it into town give me a pm I'd be happy to play tour guide.

Sarah

oh and to keep it on topic, SallieMae is a good company to deal with.
laugh.gif
You can quit squawking 7500 now...

Or you can go a little further and go to 9K4 in Warrensburg, MO and visit Showtime for some bad steaks and "adult" dancing right on the field.

[ QUOTE ]
Or you can go a little further and go to 9K4 in Warrensburg, MO and visit Showtime for some bad steaks and "adult" dancing right on the field.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh man, you're bringing back memories of college! Do they still have $6 steak night?

Thanks for the info Sarah!

Have you ever flown into Tulsa? I'm curious to know how long it would take to get to MKC in a 172... with good weather of course!
wink.gif

Nope, I've not been into Tulsa...I wouldn't think it'd be that long of a flight, though!

Sarah

I did MCI-PWA (KC Intl. to Wiley Post, Ok City, OK) in a Bonanza in 2.0 block to block back in '01. MKC-TUL would be a shorter flight, but even at Cessna airspeeds, it should be two hours or less block time. Not a bad little trip.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
but even at Cessna airspeeds, it should be two hours or less block time. Not a bad little trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good time... I look forward to doing it.

Kind of strange that in two years of flying I've never been up their! I've heard it's a really cool airport to fly into...

Back