Flight Training in the US - doubts of an expat

Spyke

Hey everyone!

I'm new here at JC, so I apologize if I ask anything that has been covered on some older thread, did a lot of reading to try to avoid that.

I'm an American citizen who's been living in Brazil pretty much all his life (25). I decided that I wanted to become a professional pilot back in 2011, but for financial and academic (college) reasons I've only been able to manage the PPL so far. Since I got those issues out of the way at the beginning of the year, I went back to flying. However, for a series of situations relative to the Brazilian aviation industry I became convinced that my old dream of flying in the States would be my best bet, although I'd have to worry about $$$ (and even currency rates!) again given that training in the US is way more expensive. I'm originally from FL, but since we've moved here over 20 years ago and only have some relatively distant family scattered around the country, I'm not really leaning toward a specific location when looking for flight schools.

After lots and lots of research online (can't really visit any schools), I ended up with a bunch of doubts, the following being the biggest:

1) Flight Academy X FBO, which of the two would form a more marketable CFI? I've read a lot about the pros and cons of each for pilot training, but I'm a little worried about what's the short term job prospect in each case. I hear that MOST flight academies hire MOST of the CFIs they form, but what happens when a pilot comes out the door of a school that doesn’t need any new instructors, how's the job market for that guy? (Here, if you're not hired by your school, it's virtually impossible to get a job anywhere else)

2) As for location, I'm pretty divided between the Pacific NW (mainly Hillsboro Aero Academy) or some other option in the sunny states (probably FL since there are more options). Keep hearing that the winter weather in the PNW is a pro and a con, some say that it keeps you from flying and others that it makes for great IMC training. Hillsboro AA actually does roadshows here in Brazil and the school rep told me that they addressed their winter weather issue by opening a new location in Prineville, OR. On the other hand, my parents tell me FL is sunny year round and that the only significant weather is the routine late afternoon thunderstorm (occasional hurricane). Can anyone offer some insight into these climates or the schools in these locations?

3) Like I said before, $$$ is an issue and I intend to get a job to cover some of the costs of living and training (preferably part time at the school/airport). I read on a few threads that it's more cost effective to go the PSEL(got it already) > IR > CSEL > CFI route, get a job as an instructor and then do the other ratings (CMEL add-on, CFII and MEI) at your school with an employee discount. Is this a real world viable option? I know this gives me very little ME experience, but how important is that really? Is it possible to do this Part 141, or will I have to go Part 61? The reason this worries me is that I would like to do these ratings and start instructing reasonably quickly (not ATP quick, just regular quick).

I hope this post didn't come out unreasonably long. Living here makes me have ZERO aviation contacts in the US, so all insight regarding any of the points above is deeply appreciated.

Good flying to all!

Question 1: Right now, there seems to be a shortage of qualified CFIs, so I doubt "marketability" would be an issue. Unless you have some skeletons in your closet, you should be able to land a job somewhere, once you get your CFI. While you're statement is correct that most flight schools hire the pilots they train, I know at least one instructor who flew at another university, and got hired where I'm flying now. It's not unusual...

Question 2: Sunny states keep you flying more, despite what the rep was trying to tell you. Even though you might be starting off at Instrument, keep in mind that you're going to have to do commercial maneuvers, most of which require ground reference. So, you could be in a position to get weathered out again. Seattle, Portland and the rest of the Pacific NW gets A LOT of rain. It might delay your training. Florida isn't without it's faults though. Lots of CBs and TStrms but the experience you will gain from learning what to do around them will be invaluable. I'd try to find somthing in Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. Alabama is also a great option. Check out Auburn's flight program...

Question 3: Due to the high turnover of CFIs, CFIIs and MEIs, most 141 schools are forced to pay for their instructors to upgrade. Check with them before you sign any paperwork but it's very common these days for a school to buy your MEI if they need you to instruct...

Hope that helps!

I trained in FL, and worked as a CFI there and in the Pacific NW.

The biggest issue in FL isn't thunderstorms, but simply the heat. It's unlikely that thunderstorms would have a significant impact on your training. The heat will, although from Brazil you may be used to it. Constant turbulence in the afternoons can make life more difficult. I scheduled my first students at 5am, and finished at 1pm.

The weather in Oregon's Willamette valley is fantastic for about eight months of the year, and dubious for the other four, usually meaning fog every morning, and sometimes all day. The other side of the Cascade range, including the Prineville area is much better in the winter, at least as far as the fog is concerned.

Financially you may be better off in FL, as the taxes are pretty brutal in OR.

Question 1: Right now, there seems to be a shortage of qualified CFIs, so I doubt "marketability" would be an issue. Unless you have some skeletons in your closet, you should be able to land a job somewhere, once you get your CFI. While you're statement is correct that most flight schools hire the pilots they train, I know at least one instructor who flew at another university, and got hired where I'm flying now. It's not unusual...

Question 2: Sunny states keep you flying more, despite what the rep was trying to tell you. Even though you might be starting off at Instrument, keep in mind that you're going to have to do commercial maneuvers, most of which require ground reference. So, you could be in a position to get weathered out again. Seattle, Portland and the rest of the Pacific NW gets A LOT of rain. It might delay your training. Florida isn't without it's faults though. Lots of CBs and TStrms but the experience you will gain from learning what to do around them will be invaluable. I'd try to find somthing in Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. Alabama is also a great option. Check out Auburn's flight program...

Question 3: Due to the high turnover of CFIs, CFIIs and MEIs, most 141 schools are forced to pay for their instructors to upgrade. Check with them before you sign any paperwork but it's very common these days for a school to buy your MEI if they need you to instruct...

Hope that helps!

Thanks!
My plan is to go back to the US between March and June of 2016, so I'd probably do my IR right away and end up doing the CMEL soon after. That however, will leave me at the beggining of winter performing visual maneuvers like you said.

Looked into Auburn, really interesting program. Unfortunately I've had to drop the idea of training with a degree program because of the cost of tuition. Fortunately got to go to college here in Brazil for much less than in the States.

Financially you may be better off in FL, as the taxes are pretty brutal in OR.

With all the research I did into ratings in the US, weather, flight schools, etc. I forgot to look into cost of living and taxes. Kind of thought that not having sales tax would make Oregon pretty cheap. After doing my research I found a lot of information saying the Portland area has a high cost of living, besides the taxes you mentioned. Do you know if that's right?

Do you have any suggestions of good flight schools in FL from the time you spent there?

Thanks!

Looked into Auburn, really interesting program. Unfortunately I've had to drop the idea of training with a degree program because of the cost of tuition. Fortunately got to go to college here in Brazil for much less than in the States.

Auburn does offer flight training without the degree. They offer part 61, or 141 training. ;)

Online calculators show Portland as being about 25% more expensive to live in than Orlando.

Crystal Aero Group on the West side of FL is a fantastic school. Good people and great training. Avoid the place in Ft Pierce.

Thanks!
My plan is to go back to the US between March and June of 2016, so I'd probably do my IR right away and end up doing the CMEL soon after. That however, will leave me at the beggining of winter performing visual maneuvers like you said.

Unless you take forever to do the IR rating, it will be summer, fall at worst. Northern hemisphere up here :) Winter begins Dec 21st (except Michigan where it never seems to end)

Auburn does offer flight training without the degree. They offer part 61, or 141 training. ;)

Didn't see it on their website. I'll definetely look into that, thanks!
Crystal Aero Group on the West side of FL is a fantastic school. Good people and great training. Avoid the place in Ft Pierce.

I'll look into it! While I've read mixed opinions about the place in Ft. Pierce, I really couldn't risk going somewhere that has so many dissatisfied customers.

Unless you take forever to do the IR rating, it will be summer, fall at worst. Northern hemisphere up here :) Winter begins Dec 21st (except Michigan where it never seems to end)

hahaha You're right, although I had thought that November was already winter-ish. Anyways I think I'll still be flying for the commercial in January.

Got to admit though, I'm still kind of tempted by Hillsboro. The trade-offs are bigger than I had imagined, with the high cost of living and the difficult weather (worse than I had imagined), but the idea of flying in such a diverse environment is pretty appealing. I guess the best thing will be to try to talk to someone who went through their program.

Good flying everyone!

Back