Flight Safety sim instructor

JCF1974

Anyone out there have any experience on the interview? I have an interview there next week.

They are real big on CRM........ work it into your interview somehow. And if you have to do a short "practice teaching" segment of a particular topic, do not just lecture to your "class": use adult style learning, where you ask the class (or simulated class which is likely the folks interviewing you) lots of questions to get their participation.

Anyone out there have any experience on the interview? I have an interview there next week.

Maybe you could post/summarize your recent FSI interview experience? There are others that might be interested.

New member, so trying to get my posts made. I can contribute to this!

I spent a couple of years as an instructor for FlightSafety. My interview, which may not echo others' experience, was very laid back and friendly. They did a nice job at putting us at ease. "Us" was me and one other guy. We did the entire interview together, up until the presentation, which we did not observe each other's. One thing to note: they gave us some material before the interview which would describe what would take place and what was expected of us, particularly in the presentation.

Dress: we each wore a suit and tie.

It began with the HR guy giving us a tour of the facility and a general overview of what to expect. There were a few questions here or there, but nothing remotely overwhelming...just a get-to-know-you feel. Once that was over, we were led to a room where the Center Manager, Assistant Manager, Dir of Standards, a couple of seasoned instructors, and many others that I don't recall their titles, were all seated in. We all had lunch (sub sandwiches) and just talked and joked - they wanted to get to know us. We were asked various questions, like "Why FlightSafety? If you couldn't fly/instruct, what job would you want to do?" and what not, but everyone went around the room asking various questions and taking turns answering. It didn't feel like an interview at all and was actually a lot of fun.

What came next was, what I thought, really pretty neat. They put the two of us alone in a room with the two veteran instructors and told us it was, basically, not rigged or staged in anyway, and that once they (management) left and the door closed, whatever was asked was between the four of us. They let us just pick the brains of those two guys, and get the good and bad of working there. After that we were each split up and we gave our 15 minute presentations. The presentations were given in one of the classrooms, and in front of pretty much all management/Program Managers, and some instructors. A few questions about the presentation were asked at the end, but mostly really softball stuff just to see how you respond.

The presentation could be on anything aviation related, and you would best use PowerPoint, although it wasn't "required." I've heard some Centers allow you to present on anything, meaning it didn't have to be aviation related. I chose to present the Fuel System on a jet I had been flying, knew well, and was one that they did NOT teach at that facility. (Don't select something to teach on if you think you might have some experts in the audience...i.e. don't teach how to make a tire to the Goodyear factory guys.) They are not looking for "what" you teach, but rather "how" you teach it. Time yourself. Then time yourself ten more times. Present the topic to your wife or friends. Ask questions and INCLUDE your audience - facilitation!! Use humor, but not much. Did I mention time yourself? Don't go under, and don't go over. You need to teach in the allotted time.

One question that was asked during the informal lunch, which I wanted to mention in greater detail, was "Are you done flying? If American calls you tomorrow, what would you do?" I was coming from an abusive 91k/135 business with horrible QOL, so I was very adamant that I needed to be home for my wife and young kids/infant. I had had enough of the road warrior stuff and needed stability. He went on to explain that they did not allow any outside flying. Period. He emphasized that a lot. I heard rumors later on that there was some incident with a FlightSafety instructor in the right seat of a plane he wasn't rated in, just riding along, but because there was an instructor in there, they came after FlightSafety. Don't know if it's truth or what, but it was made very clear to us that we were not allowed to fly at all. We could rent a C172 on our own, but that was pretty much it.

I thought that was FlightSafety policy company-wide, but I learned later on of instructors at other Centers being able to do contract stuff, which irritated me a bit. I very well may have stayed if we were allowed to fly here-and-there. As a result, I got pretty burned out and left for a flying job, however, I really did enjoy my experience there. It's up to YOU to keep it entertaining! If you use the same airports, same scenario, same thing over and over, you'll go crazy. Keep it interesting and come up with new stuff all the time. (I realize this is an interview experience thread, but wanted to convey my overall thoughts.)

Hope it helps!

New member, so trying to get my posts made. I can contribute to this!

I spent a couple of years as an instructor for FlightSafety. My interview, which may not echo others' experience, was very laid back and friendly. They did a nice job at putting us at ease. "Us" was me and one other guy. We did the entire interview together, up until the presentation, which we did not observe each other's. One thing to note: they gave us some material before the interview which would describe what would take place and what was expected of us, particularly in the presentation.

Dress: we each wore a suit and tie.

It began with the HR guy giving us a tour of the facility and a general overview of what to expect. There were a few questions here or there, but nothing remotely overwhelming...just a get-to-know-you feel. Once that was over, we were led to a room where the Center Manager, Assistant Manager, Dir of Standards, a couple of seasoned instructors, and many others that I don't recall their titles, were all seated in. We all had lunch (sub sandwiches) and just talked and joked - they wanted to get to know us. We were asked various questions, like "Why FlightSafety? If you couldn't fly/instruct, what job would you want to do?" and what not, but everyone went around the room asking various questions and taking turns answering. It didn't feel like an interview at all and was actually a lot of fun.

What came next was, what I thought, really pretty neat. They put the two of us alone in a room with the two veteran instructors and told us it was, basically, not rigged or staged in anyway, and that once they (management) left and the door closed, whatever was asked was between the four of us. They let us just pick the brains of those two guys, and get the good and bad of working there. After that we were each split up and we gave our 15 minute presentations. The presentations were given in one of the classrooms, and in front of pretty much all management/Program Managers, and some instructors. A few questions about the presentation were asked at the end, but mostly really softball stuff just to see how you respond.

The presentation could be on anything aviation related, and you would best use PowerPoint, although it wasn't "required." I've heard some Centers allow you to present on anything, meaning it didn't have to be aviation related. I chose to present the Fuel System on a jet I had been flying, knew well, and was one that they did NOT teach at that facility. (Don't select something to teach on if you think you might have some experts in the audience...i.e. don't teach how to make a tire to the Goodyear factory guys.) They are not looking for "what" you teach, but rather "how" you teach it. Time yourself. Then time yourself ten more times. Present the topic to your wife or friends. Ask questions and INCLUDE your audience - facilitation!! Use humor, but not much. Did I mention time yourself? Don't go under, and don't go over. You need to teach in the allotted time.

One question that was asked during the informal lunch, which I wanted to mention in greater detail, was "Are you done flying? If American calls you tomorrow, what would you do?" I was coming from an abusive 91k/135 business with horrible QOL, so I was very adamant that I needed to be home for my wife and young kids/infant. I had had enough of the road warrior stuff and needed stability. He went on to explain that they did not allow any outside flying. Period. He emphasized that a lot. I heard rumors later on that there was some incident with a FlightSafety instructor in the right seat of a plane he wasn't rated in, just riding along, but because there was an instructor in there, they came after FlightSafety. Don't know if it's truth or what, but it was made very clear to us that we were not allowed to fly at all. We could rent a C172 on our own, but that was pretty much it.

I thought that was FlightSafety policy company-wide, but I learned later on of instructors at other Centers being able to do contract stuff, which irritated me a bit. I very well may have stayed if we were allowed to fly here-and-there. As a result, I got pretty burned out and left for a flying job, however, I really did enjoy my experience there. It's up to YOU to keep it entertaining! If you use the same airports, same scenario, same thing over and over, you'll go crazy. Keep it interesting and come up with new stuff all the time. (I realize this is an interview experience thread, but wanted to convey my overall thoughts.)

Hope it helps!
Most centers allow pilot services (flying on paid days off and as an FSI contract pilot). Once you put a year in, you can request a fly for pay letter. The release FSI makes the other party sign frequently muddies things up.

We always tried to get our instructors out into the wild. Keep people current, make it so you don't have to do the fltex/atc course.

Burn out at FSI is very real. You'll be home every day... you just don't know when. Not much of an advance schedule, and pay doesn't really match CA pay on the plane.

Year 1 I made 75k
Year 2 was 84K+ 15k for contract flying
Year 3 was 94k base + 13k contract.

1st year flying the hawker when I left was 155k.

I made significantly more in raises than most people at the center though, moved position quickly. Usually it's an annual 2-3.25% raise.

You will get a chance to network like none other though.

Is the information in this thread still accurate? TIA

Yes and no- I've heard ILG starts Sim/ground IP's at $91,000 now, instructor loss to flying jobs is real, so they have been trying to make the schedule easier to live with.

Still a tremendous networking opportunity.

Some centers have a training contract now.

Well, I would not be going anywhere... :)

I was told it's a two year commitment. Thanks for the information.
91 flying doesn't requires a 1st class :) After a year at FSI you can fly for pay on the side, depending on schedule etc - but - it must either be on planned days off, or you must take vacation time.

Honestly, working there you may learn of some very cherry 91 gigs ( Good pay, easy schedule, no holidays, 3 weeks vacation etc - which make it hard not to get back into flying. Especially when they offer you the job :) )

Truth be told, lot of great people at ILG, lots of friends working there still. That being said, the job isn't for everybody, and with QMS/SMS requirements for EASA, Flight safety is very good at making their job significantly harder for themselves. each day you'll flat up murder a forest with all the printing. CL604/605, 300, GIV,V,550,650, falcon 900 are all the same pay scale (I think 4k more than the hawker, westwind astra etc). Avoid the types that have a lot of variants (Hawker) as you have to learn and teach each of them.

all in all its not a bad gig if you're looking to supplement your retirement income. You won't get any travel benefits, however, because they train 135, you will be enrolled in a DOT drug and alcohol testing program (including randoms when the bridge comes down)

Last edited:
Thank you for continuing to provide information. It is all very useful.

I won't need travel benefits as I get them for life now and am used to being drug tested. So those issues are not issues for me. My recent company does not allow retired pilots to work in the training department (per the contract, the person has to be on the property). But I was an instructor, my parents were both teachers and I got all the new hires for years. I think I can make a go of this for at least two years. I am just not ready to be put out to pasture.

Short update. The interview was over two days. The first day was the candidate gets to know FSI. The second day they get to know the candidate. So the first day was tours, lunch, sit in on a class, etc. They send you a PPT with 13 slides and you have to prepare a 20 minute lesson. First there was a panel interview which was really softball for me. It was basically tell them about myself and why FSI? Then I did the lesson. They had a spoiler in the room who asked a lot of questions. Then they sent me to the break room for lunch. HR came back and said they would offer me the job. A few days later they confirmed the program and the start date. Then it took a while to get the offer letter. I'm just finishing up ground school now on the Falcon 900. So far, so good.

Short update. The interview was over two days. The first day was the candidate gets to know FSI. The second day they get to know the candidate. So the first day was tours, lunch, sit in on a class, etc. They send you a PPT with 13 slides and you have to prepare a 20 minute lesson. First there was a panel interview which was really softball for me. It was basically tell them about myself and why FSI? Then I did the lesson. They had a spoiler in the room who asked a lot of questions. Then they sent me to the break room for lunch. HR came back and said they would offer me the job. A few days later they confirmed the program and the start date. Then it took a while to get the offer letter. I'm just finishing up ground school now on the Falcon 900. So far, so good.

Darren, Ralph John and Don are all good people, Opie is pretty cool too!

Scott, your PM is a pretty straight shooter (unless he left).

Congrats!

Darren, Ralph John and Don are all good people, Opie is pretty cool too!

Scott, your PM is a pretty straight shooter (unless he left).

Congrats!

Thanks. It's my 121 retirement gig so it's all good. I got some sim time and am looking forward to more--it was nice to see I had not lost it all since retirement on 6/25. Scott is still here and is a good guy (how did you know which location I'm at?!!!). There were three retirements recently so it's tight and they need help asap. They said they also want us to pick up flying as much as possible to be well rounded as instructors.

The bottom line for all is network, network, network. I can't guarantee that the panel interview would be a softball without that.

How flexible is Flight Safety on scheduling? I mean that in a way that supports the person not the organization. I live about 3 hours from Columbus and would consider this position if it in effect could be made "commute-able". By that I mean I would be willing to get an apartment / crash pad and work a 4 day section. Is that possible?

How flexible is Flight Safety on scheduling? I mean that in a way that supports the person not the organization. I live about 3 hours from Columbus and would consider this position if it in effect could be made "commute-able". By that I mean I would be willing to get an apartment / crash pad and work a 4 day section. Is that possible?

The customer and client always come first. Take from that what you will, but, it’s really not a commutable job, and honestly they probably won’t hire you if you live that far away.

At FSI you will be home every day, but, the schedule can, and does change. Regulatory requirements, LOA’s and TCE’s are part of the mix.

Back