Flight Plans

Bottom line is you cant file IFR if your not instrument rated period.

Bottom line is that there is no regulation that says that. The reg says you may not "act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft under IFR". You're not operating under IFR until you receive an IFR clearance.

What part of "appropriately rated" is not understood.:banghead:
Sorry. I can't resist: Where does "appropriately rated" appears anywhere in the Part 91 regs dealing with IFR flight? Or filing flight plans?

germb747 said:
okay, you know what I'm talking about
I do. But take a look at later posts by folks who may not and seem to be adamant about it. Maybe they understand and maybe they don't. But look at how the lack of precision in the language used (by people, not by the regs) leaves you unsure.

Sorry. I can't resist: Where does "appropriately rated" appears anywhere in the Part 91 regs dealing with IFR flight? Or filing flight plans?

61.3(e)
Instrument rating. No person may act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft
under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed
for VFR flight unless that person holds:
(1) The appropriate aircraft category, class, type (if required), and instrument rating on that person’s pilot certificate for any airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift being flown;

That's where it says it. Regs are regs.

Bottom line is that there is no regulation that says that. The reg says you may not "act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft under IFR". You're not operating under IFR until you receive an IFR clearance.

Why file an IFR flight plan if you don't intend to get clearance?

Why file an IFR flight plan if you don't intend to get clearance?

The "trick" that Midlifeflyer is talking about is just a means to have a VFR flight plan transmitted to the local approach control. Actual VFR flight plans never leave the flight service station. A VFR pilot can check the box "IFR", but put "VFR" in the altitude box, maybe along with a note in the remarks about requesting flight following. FSS will dutifully transmit the "IFR" flight plan to the approach control, but when approach receives it, they realize it's not an IFR flight plan. So when you pop up requesting flight following, they already have you in their computer as a VFR flight.

So in this case, the pilot does file an IFR flight plan, but never receives an IFR clearance and thus never operates as PIC under IFR. Some people are quite enamored with this procedure, and some ATC guys like it too, but I agree with Midlifeflyer that it seems kinda silly.

Back