flight planning websites

pavelump

anybody ever use any of the flight planning websites? I was looking at aeroplanner.com and it looked pretty cool. I know you can use duat.com and duats.com for free, but they are a little low tech. Is it worth the $12/month to use areoplanner.com?

Dave

I use fltplan.com

It is pretty cheap, and I have all the different airplanes saved by tail#. Mrs Eagle can log on and use the flt tracker and see where I am.

It will even track GA acft if you have flight following.

The flt plan has been dead on every single time, within 4-6min off on the ETA. not too bad.

Worth the $.

well it works great, (the free side) the tracking side we pay for, Easier than trying to update the mrs on my ETA and so on.

[ QUOTE ]
I use fltplan.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Works great, and it's free, unless you want the tracking and stuff like that.

I used aeroplanner for a while and loved it but then decided I could just do the work and save a few bucks (it pays for my DAOC account).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How does that work?

I really like enflight.com. They have it all there for you. It's a great site for doing everything you need to do before you get to the airport and preflight the plane.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How does that work?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are on flight following (I know you know this already..) ATC will give you a transponder code. the computer/radar that ATC is tracking doesn't know or care if you are IFR, it just see the acft track and assigned code.. The controllers know you are VFR, that is all.

Funny part is, I fly our plane from N40 to GFL a few times a month. Unless I am flying low up the hudson river, (very cool to fly 60 miles in ground effect...) I will get Flt following. I have no interest in getting run though by some 777 or worse, a skylane with the cheeseburger pilots on board. If I fly at 5500ft, my route takes me through the arrivials from EWR,(usually that is the alt I am passing at that point as I tend to fly quite high 10,000+ with field elevations in the 100ft.) So I feel so much better knowing that ATC sees me. But where it is a riot, is when they drop me due to being too busy. My wife says, she will check on my flight, then Poof I am gone.... not in the system still 40 miles from home. I'll check in and she says. So they dropped you over Sparta again huh?

I meant how does fltplan.com know where you are...I mean, even IFR flights don't know their squawk until they get their clearance. I guess I just didn't think that ATC kept position data on a/c they're simply providing flight following for. In looking at their site though, I see that they have some sort of tie-in to the FAA's system to get near-real-time position data, ostensibly from transponder returns.

Back