Flight Instructors Lesson Plan Handbook

PFactor

Hello everyone, I'm just starting to get my resources together for my CFI training, ASA CFI prepware, Aviation Instructors Handbook, etc. Another book I picked up is the "Flight Instructors Lesson Plan Handbook" by Edwin Quinlan and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Can I use this book instead of making up my own lesson plans? Also, if you have any suggestions to make the process of obtaining the CFI certificate easier, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks

Sure you can use it but there are a couple of downsides. I've heard there are a few examiners out there that look down on pre-bought lesson plans. So if you got your ride with one of the guys you may be starting off on the wrong foot.

The main reason though is that just like actual teaching, you learn a lot from creating your own lesson plans. It also serves as a great knowledge refresher.

My advice would be to either get that book or look at some of the online lesson sites that Ed has listed in a previous post, and use them as a starting point to build your own plans.

-Mark

I have the book and I understand what your talking about as far as some DE's and thier opinions of pre-made lesson plans. I just can not imagine making any lesson plan that is as thorough as the ones in this book....lol.

I, too, have the book. I notice that many of the references are no longer current, so you will have to find equivalents on your own. Like previous posters, I have heard several despising comments from instructors and DEs about pre-packaged lesson plans in general.

I'm working on my lesson plans right now, too.

Thing is, besides all the other benefits of doing htem yourself, it's a great review for the oral.

That book's a piece of crap. I bought it before I even started my CFI, flipped through it a couple of times, and its been sitting quietly on my bookshelf ever since. I'd much prefer to make my own lesson plans...and suggest other CFI's do the same.

I agree with EatSleepFly on this one. That book just points out the obvious stuff and leaves out the most important teaching points for each lesson.

If anyone would like to purchase a hardly used copy of it, let me know........

It's kinda funny actually, I have posted the question on another forum and i get mixed reviews on pre-planned lesson Vs doing your own, but alot of people say the book is pretty good. the concensus seems to be that it's a decent guide, but you need to be flexable. Here however, the book is getting slammed.

It is crap. I have it. I never use it. I have written all of my own.

If you like it.... get it.

For $61 it's not worth it, but I got it on Amazon for $40; I haven't read enough of it yet to decide, nor do I have my CFI!

yea, i did get it from Sporty's for 39.95 plus 9.95 shipping. what I don't get is why the people who slam this book (or anything else at J.C.for that matter) never seem to have a reason why they are against something. I also wonder how anyone who is just starting out in thier CFI training is suppose to be able to write a better lesson plan than those who have a book that has been put together by many professionals, edited, published, and on the market for years. I did ask for opinions and for that I am grateful, however, unless you have a concreate reason, just stating something is crap without justification in my opinion is "crap"

OK first of all, since your hostility seems to be directed at me and the other two that are active CFI's...back off. Sorry, I've been tied up doing my job most of the day (and I imagine they have too), which happens to take priority over justifying why I think some crappy book is a piece of crap.

But, to be fair I dusted it off and opened it up for the first time since I got it (a year or so ago). I guess it isn't bad to use as a guide when making your lesson plans...so as you don't forget anything.

Personally, the reason I don't like it...

I make my lesson plans so that my notes are included. That way when I'm standing in the briefing room giving a pre-brief or a ground school, and I forget something (yeah, I know...god forbid), I can simply look down and remember. No bluffing, and no looking like a dumbass in front of the student when I have to say, "uh, hang on, let me check on that." I'm not saying theres one single thing wrong whatsoever with admitting you don't know and looking it up, I just don't like to put myself in that position.

I like to have everything handy in one place- in fact, I'm almost to the point where I can train somebody for their entire instrument rating (or CFII) without ever using another book besides my Instrument binder. Its got everything: a custom syllabus (loosely based on FSI's, but modified for part 61), lesson plans/notes to correspond with the syllabuses (syllabi?), IA/CFII PTS, Jepp Airway Manual intro. section, and of course, printouts of MikeD's IFR quizzes and tech tips!
smile.gif

The only other thing I have to carry to an IFR brief besides that is my FAR/AIM and my flight bag.

Eatsleepfly, I am sorry if my past post seemed hostile to you. I read it again and i did not think i said anything that indicated that i was angry, but if it appears that way to you or anyone else, i apologize. Sometimes it is hard to put down what you mean on these forums since we lack the benifit of facial expression and voice infelctions. I was just trying to get more of an indepth analysis of why someone did or did not like pre-planed lesson plans and let me say thanks for providing me with yours. Again i did ask for opinions and i appreciate you giving yours. Rocko

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it is hard to put down what you mean on these forums since we lack the benifit of facial expression and voice infelctions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no worries.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what I don't get is why the people who slam this book (or anything else at J.C.for that matter) never seem to have a reason why they are against something

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.... they are cookie cutter lesson plans that are not current, are poorly structured, and a bit cheesy. Its a book and not really worth writing thirtly lines on why I dont like it. If you think its a good source to teach from the you will choose to use it. There are certainly useful ideas in the book, but I learned ten times more by writing my own plans. As mentioned above it would be a bad idea to show up with this as your lesson souce on your CFI check ride. I own it. I dont use it. I think it is mostly junk. What more can I say.

Rocko,

Also keep in mind that a lot of people feel that the lesson plan structure outlined in the FOI isn't very well suited for aviation.

I've always used a couple of different formats that are easier to use when standing at the board giving a lesson. Think about it, do you really want to be sitting there when the examiner (student) says let's do a lesson on ILS approaches and then you go up to the board with 5 pages of text and try draw a quick summary. It doesn't work very well.

Remember the FOI defines "Instructional Knowledge" as the HOW, WHAT, and WHY of a subject matter, procedure, or manuver. As long as your lessons plans let you explain these three areas effectively you'll be in good shape.

I'll post a picture or one of my ILS lesson plan for you to see. You'll see where I have the HOW and WHAT, and my WHY is listed under the section called "Skills".

When using this format I always use "DOCCS - WDG". These stand for "Division of Attention", "Orientation", "Coordination", "Control Deflection", "Smoothness", "Wind Awareness", "Drift Correction", and "Groundspeed Awareness". All in-flight lessons plans will use several of these skills. The "WDG"'s are usually used for ground reference maneuvers but as you can see that are used in some instrument lessons as well.

Here's a link to my format for the ILS plan. http://www.flymjp.com/ILS.jpg

This is a one page plan and I can quickly copy its basic ideas onto the board and start giving the lesson. Hope this helps. -Mark

Yeah i can agree. I purchased that book when i began my CFI training...its good to two purposes....one its great to use as a guide for self made lesson plans ( which i urge every CFI to create) second its also makes a great booster for those worn down seats in our aging fleet of General Aviation Aircraft.

Back