Flight Instructors for Iraq

I flew Intelligence missions over there. It paid pretty well, and we were the lowest paid of the contractors.

It appears this is a Ground/Sim Instructor only. No, I dont think flying a 172 around the area would be ideal. You will be in range. Good pay Im sure. If you want to stop flying, then this would be a good thing, good pay. Iraq is miserable in the summer, but you get through it. It can be cold in the winter depending on where you are, including snow. Sandstorms just plain suck. No way to sugarcoat it. You can run, but you can't hide...LOL! It gets in EVERYTHING.

One of the guys in my CAP unit is an instructor over there for the same company. It pays over 100K and it is very demanding job. It's pretty much like being in the miltary on deployment, where you work long hours for 6-7 days a week. It is on a base controlled by the U.S. and Iraqi Airforces. The U.S. Airforce has controlling authority over the program. He's been there over a year and has not once been attacked or even shot at while flying. He's retired USMC so it really doesn't faze him with the QOL over there. That seems to be the draw back as far as attracting candidates to the job. Most guys who have applied are furloughed airline guys and once the living quarters situation is explained, that seems to be the deal breaker. But for those who are ex-military and are looking to make some really goos dough, it's a really good deal.

Some companies put in a very small room with another guy. Basically Dorm room style living. If you can handle that, youll be fine. We didnt, but I hear they are now. One company is paying $250K for FOs. They aren't hiring now, but thats what one of their guys told us. Its around $20K a month. We were half that. Still good money, dont get me wrong. Company was jerky, amongst other issues, that is why I left.

We didnt have any threat issues on our base at all. Very quiet. Didnt mean they didnt exist, just nothing ever happened. Hardest part was putting up with guys that were tools, hard to get away from everybody. And being away from home, wife, family. But you did, you got the job done and made a difference for the troops. Thats what mattered there.

Hey fellas I applied for the job, How long should it take before I get a reply? Also is prior military experience required? Has anyone taken this job or knows of someone that has? If so, please PM me with more information. Thanks in advance!

Back