Flight Instructor Waiting List at FSA

aerochop

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to know if any current FSI instructors could give me some insight into the instructors program. How does the waiting list to become an instructor work and when you do become an instructor, what is the pay and hours like.

Also, i am planning to visit FSA this comming Thursday. Based on your experience at FSA, is there anything that I should ask to see or any questions that I should ask that you think will cut through the recruiting BS and show what kind of school it is.

Thanks,

Aerochop

One other thing. As I am reading in the forum, I hear of people becoming check pilots at FSA. How do you go about doing this? Could a current or former check pilot or CFI shed light on this as well.

Thanks,

Aerochop.

Yes, there is a significant wait list right now, but this is aviation and you never know what's going to happen (for better or for worse.) Just train to be the best you can be, network, and always be on the lookout and that's all you can do. You can't change the market. That being said, this is a great place to instruct. Competitive pay, bennies, multi time, networking opportunities, etc etc etc

Chunk

Ok, Getting on the CFI wait list is the hard part. It starts with the (1). The CFI check ride, (2) Then two formal interviews with the top brass. (Business attire required) (3). The biggest factor in the hiring/wait list process...The presentation!?!...Your given a topic 24hrs in advance, then you give the presentation to the 4 or 5 who run flight safety. The presentation is followed by a question and answer period. (Thats where the problems happen). If all goes well, you'll get a call of congratulations. Now its time to get ready for your sim evaluation in the frasca so they can see your instrument skills. Youre given 5 hrs of free time in the frasca to practice. (Youll need them all) Pass the sim ride and youre on the wait list. (Conditional employment)

Time for the CFI-I. Now you get the employees discount (40% OFF) Thats nice. Then you leave Vero Beach and flight safety and go and look for a job, waiting for the call..When FSI calls, youll came back and go through standardization. Once stand. Is done, now your hired as a flight instructor and will sign a 800 hour contract and will be reimbursed for you CFII and a free MEI. Pay is 14/hr and full benefits. The number of hours depends on many factors. The number of students, the step of training the student is in, and the number of instructors. The hard part is getting on the wait list Check pilots sign another 800hr contract...i think

I do not believe that checkpilots sign another 800 hour contract. I think it is based on seniority and if that senior instructor wants to do it. Same thing to be a group leader, I suppose. I do not know anyone that would want to extend their stay in Vero longer than they have to.

The real question everyone should be asking is how to become a Spin INstructor!

The real question everyone should be asking is how to become a Spin INstructor!

Go get checked out with another instructor in an airplane approved for spins.

I believe JLo was referring on how to become a Zlin Spin Instructor at FSI, just to clarify.

All of the CFI poolies treading water should hang on....I hear something big is coming. From good sources...

Developing.... (as Drudge says)

Chunk

[ QUOTE ]
I believe JLo was referring on how to become a Zlin Spin Instructor at FSI, just to clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, if they could only get another engine on that somehow (for multi time) i'd be on that like stink on a mule.

cool.gif

Dave

Chunk - are you referring to the internship program? We just got a schpiel about it in ground school. Sposed to be ramping up soon. Sounds like a great deal, and a chance to thin out the pool a little bit.

[ QUOTE ]
Chunk - are you referring to the internship program? We just got a schpiel about it in ground school. Sposed to be ramping up soon. Sounds like a great deal, and a chance to thin out the pool a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, we get interns now? Get me some coffee and preflight that plane! Ha! j/k

wink.gif

Dave

The way I heard it...A company sends a guy to FS to get a type rating in a king air or something. Since its only him, FS can toss in a warm body to fill the other seat and allow that person to log SIC sim time. Whether this will actually empty the pool or simply move the fish to another tank remains to be seen.

What I have heard is that they will be offering the opportunity to inter at other FlightSafety centers. These are the places where FSI does it's contract simulator training (really the mainstay of thier business). The details haven't been ironed out yet but it sounds as if high time instructors go it will involve actually participating in training and teaching maybe the possibilty of earning type ratings in the process. If the internship involves more administrative duties these would be offered to poolies on the CFI list.
I don't think any thing is set in stone, once again this info is hersay and conjecture.

Please share what was said in ground school. Some of us FSI'rs did not have the pleasure of the visit in the CRM class.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to spread hearsay.

Back