Flight Instructor Program...

av8rmsu

I was reading about the 16 day flight instructor program and was wondering if anyone here has been through it. It looks like a good deal, but I was wondering if there were any pros/cons to it.

Any info would be a help.

I did the CFI program... if you have specific questions feel free to ask them.

In general, I will say this, they get you your ratings! If you go in expecting to be taught everything in 16 days you will have a rude awaking. You need to know what you are doing before you get there. Yes, they give you some knowledge. But, you need to have a good handle on everything before you get there...

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading about the 16 day flight instructor program and was wondering if anyone here has been through it. It looks like a good deal, but I was wondering if there were any pros/cons to it.

Any info would be a help.

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice....

You are at FSI, right? Do you initial CFI there- you can't beat their program. Its long, but its definitely worth it. Then do your CFII and MEI at ATP if you want, because they are nothing special at FSI.

OK, I'm not going to bash ATP here, but I've flown with a couple of grads of ATP's CFI program. I was not impressed at all. They were still making the mistakes common to getting used to the transition to the right seat. Their explanation of maneuvers sounded "canned" and if I started asking questions like a student they fell apart. One of them just flat out sucked.

Again, I'm not bashing ATP. These guys could've been the exceptions for all I know. BUT, there is something to be said for a thorough CFI program, and in my opinion, three CFI ratings in 16 days is pushing it.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, I'm not bashing ATP. These guys could've been the exceptions for all I know. BUT, there is something to be said for a thorough CFI program, and in my opinion, three CFI ratings in 16 days is pushing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my opinion too, even though I have no experience with ATP grads, but it just seems to be too much to learn in such a short period of time. Especially since the school I go to spends 100 hours in ground school for the initial CFI and around 35 flight lessons. But I am sure the program here puts out bad CFI's too, it is really how much effort the person puts into his work, his/her attitude, and willingness to learn.

I was just trying to get a general "feel" for it.

My friend at home went to ATA before it went bankrupt...got done with just weeks to spare...went to ATP and got his instructor ratings. IMHO he is a great instructor and know his stuff (his dad was a 35,000 hr. capt. for US Air, retired 11th in seniority, so he has a pretty good person to call with questions).

I have heard both ways about the program at FSI and ATP. Money is the only thing that I am trying to deal with. Fortunately I am not taking on any debt, but I just want to be "thrifty" with my money if at all possible (if there is such a thing in this business).

[ QUOTE ]
You are at FSI, right? Do you initial CFI there- you can't beat their program. Its long, but its definitely worth it. Then do your CFII and MEI at ATP if you want, because they are nothing special at FSI.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct.

This sounds like a good idea...for some reason I have never thought of it.

Thanks

Just for your information, ATP's CFI program is a 14-day course. I know there is a lot of information to cover in that time, but the student does not walk into the program blind and "cold turkey" as it may appear. The student is sent (at least 2 weeks ahead of class date) a CFI packet and program pre-test which needs to be completed prior to their arrival. This packet is extensive and includes everything they need to make the transition to a CFI. They are expected to review this information thoroughly before attending. As far as the quality of the teaching in the program, I would say it is some of the best in the country. This program is managed and taught by Walter Schamel who is 1 of 300 Master CFIs in the United States. I think the addition of Mr. Schamel as a teacher for ATP gives them instant credibility. This program does demand a lot and is recommended for the highly motivated aviator.

Back