Flight Instructing on the side

Here is something to keep in mind. Absolute bare minimum cost to get your CFI is around 20K to 30K, probably more now. You could save most of that and just get an instrument rating. Then, you could use the other 10 or 20 grand you saved to do a bunch of flying on your own. It will take a looooong time recoup your investment otherwise.

But, if you go into this expecting to flush all that cash and never see a return on investment, go for it. If teaching is what you want to do, just think of the investment as the same thing as someone who throws 30 grand at a boat.

I disagree. In my case, I was a Private Pilot with IR and flew about 100 hrs/yr for my own enjoyment. I had about 850 hrs when I decided to become a CFI. The cost of getting my CPL and then my CFI was a cost that was easily recoverable. I probably had less than 40 hrs of dual and 50-60 hrs of ground instruction for both ratings. If you take this approach, you can easily return your investment. Mine has been returned several times over.

I've been a part-time CFI for 7 years. I didn't do it for the money, I did it for the love of aviation. Flying several times every week also made me more pleasant to live with, and spending Saturdays away from my wife was offset by stopping at the florist on the way home from the airport every week.

A lousy one. I was working in-house for a company about 10 minutes from the airport when I started teaching and had a relatively flexible schedule - even managed to get away for a long lunch for a mid-day lesson once a week. But even then, I never carried more than 2 regular students.

I went back to private practice a few years ago and things changed. Weekdays are shot. I pretty much stick with one regular at a time - on weekends - and that's generally someone whose schedule is as bad as mine, although I do flight reviews and short-term.

Looking forward to when I can start cutting back on lawyering and teaching more regularly.

btw, 9 posts and you caught that I was a lawyer? Or have we met on some other board?

Is there anybody in the forums that does flight instructing on the side?

After much thought and prayer I don't think I want to be a full time pilot because of the strain on my family life. I love to fly but not nearly enough to be away from my family for days at a time plus the job I have now is something I could do for the rest of my life. I would still, however, like to get my ratings so I could flight instruct when I wanted to fly.

thoughts...
Ever thought of flying for the Army/Air National Guard?

Back