Flight instructing in your airspace?

GnW

Is this looked down upon/get you fired? Or is it something you can just keep your mouth shut about and nobody will bother you? I guess it is worth mentioning that I have a pretty distinct radio voice... or so I'm told.

Well in that case, I believe that is NOT allowed. Conflict of interest or some stupid crap rule like that.

yeah, i'll be sure to tell tower to just ignore my airplane. maybe if i fly real low and taxi really slow they wont notice me
i never told you how to get there, youre a pilot im sure you can figure that one out on your own ace. you asked a question and i answered it...no need to be a chode about it. you shouldnt really be instructing in class D or above airspace unless youre teaching landings/takeoffs or practicing ILS approaches

i never told you how to get there, youre a pilot im sure you can figure that one out on your own ace. you asked a question and i answered it...no need to be a chode about it. you shouldnt really be instructing in class D or above airspace unless youre teaching landings/takeoffs or practicing ILS approaches

um, WHAT?!

those are the BEST places to instruct! (class Delta), just outside of a Class Charlie/Bravo.

ps, sorry for being crabby. it was more drunk than anything.

I did all my training out of a class D (OLM). It helps get you comfortable talking to ATC while paying attention to checklists.

you shouldnt really be instructing in class D or above airspace unless youre teaching landings/takeoffs or practicing ILS approaches

I'll make sure to pass that along to my flying club...located at an airport in class D airspace. There are students buzzing around the pattern there almost non-stop on the weekends.

Honestly, I don't see how the FAA could restrict an ATC from instructing in the same area they happen to be a controller. Imagine if you were a center controller, that could exclude you from an area covering parts of 4-5 states!

you shouldnt really be instructing in class D or above airspace unless youre teaching landings/takeoffs or practicing ILS approaches

I'll make sure to pass that along to my flying club...located at an airport in class D airspace. There are students buzzing around the pattern there almost non-stop on the weekends.
i guess i wasnt clear enough when i said you shouldnt train in class D. i never said you shouldnt teach pattern work in class D, in fact i would encourage you to teach pattern work in D airspace because its usually not that busy and you dont have ATC services, as opposed to an uncontrolled airport where you have to deal with the CTAF. (sidenote) though it is good for them to know how to deal with uncontrolled airports. around here there are quite a few uncontrolled airports and it is very common for students to get diverted to an uncontrolled airport on a checkride... but when you say 'instructing' i take that as dealing with more than just dealing with doing touch and goes or practice approaches. training also includes doing flight maneuvers like emergency procedures, turns around a point, slow flight, stalls (both power on and power off) just to name a few...none of which i would do in D....good luck man. its kind of a sticky situation....personally i dont see how there could be a conflict of interest unless you would be working for a flight school that is based out of your airspace....but if its part 61 i think you would be fine, but you never know....

i guess i wasnt clear enough when i said you shouldnt train in class D. i never said you shouldnt teach pattern work in class D, in fact i would encourage you to teach pattern work in D airspace because its usually not that busy and you dont have ATC services, as opposed to an uncontrolled airport where you have to deal with the CTAF. (sidenote) though it is good for them to know how to deal with uncontrolled airports. around here there are quite a few uncontrolled airports and it is very common for students to get diverted to an uncontrolled airport on a checkride... but when you say 'instructing' i take that as dealing with more than just dealing with doing touch and goes or practice approaches. training also includes doing flight maneuvers like emergency procedures, turns around a point, slow flight, stalls (both power on and power off) just to name a few...none of which i would do in D....good luck man. its kind of a sticky situation....personally i dont see how there could be a conflict of interest unless you would be working for a flight school that is based out of your airspace....but if its part 61 i think you would be fine, but you never know....

i'm going to try my best to be polite here... but you don't know what youre talking about. Class Delta airspace is a 5nm radius around an airport and usually only goes up to 2500 AGL. i don't know how much experience you have with airplanes, but they can generally cover that distance/altitude pretty quickly. :cwm27:

Is this looked down upon/get you fired?

There were a few places I worked where co-workers also did flight instruction. Although it stuck in some people's craw, most didn't care. I am not aware of any rule against it.

Or is it something you can just keep your mouth shut about and nobody will bother you?

Silence is golden...

I guess it is worth mentioning that I have a pretty distinct radio voice... or so I'm told.

Then don't get caught in a lie like one of our guys did. He turned down a "command performance" overtime call by saying he'd really love to come in, but he had already had a few beers.

Way less than eight hours later, his 'pretty distinct radio voice' was heard on the tower frequency.

i'm going to try my best to be polite here... but you don't know what youre talking about. Class Delta airspace is a 5nm radius around an airport and usually only goes up to 2500 AGL. i don't know how much experience you have with airplanes, but they can generally cover that distance/altitude pretty quickly. :cwm27:
not to prove you wrong or anything but..."Most Class D airspace extends from the surface to 2,500 feet above ground level (agl), with a circular diameter of 4.3 nautical miles (5 statute miles)." for a source please refer to this link http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learntofly/overview/airspace.cfm

good luck with your flight instructing, might want to brush up on your airspace dimensions..

and youre right, i dont know that much about flying....when i was taking lessons it was out of class D airspace here in okc. the only time we stayed in class D was to work on landing/takeoff maneuvers. everything else was done south of the airport in class E airspace where the school had a designated practice area. thats just how we did it here and it seemed very sensible as the practice area was in a remote area where not many people flew.

not to prove you wrong or anything but..."Most Class D airspace extends from the surface to 2,500 feet above ground level (agl), with a circular diameter of 4.3 nautical miles (5 statute miles)." for a source please refer to this link http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learntofly/overview/airspace.cfm

good luck with your flight instructing, might want to brush up on your airspace dimensions..

and youre right, i dont know that much about flying....when i was taking lessons it was out of class D airspace here in okc. the only time we stayed in class D was to work on landing/takeoff maneuvers. everything else was done south of the airport in class E airspace where the school had a designated practice area. thats just how we did it here and it seemed very sensible as the practice area was in a remote area where not many people flew.

I took my FAA test prep home recently, but I believe the FAA has 2 sources that say 2 different things, one says 4.4 nm, the other says 4. I wouldn't start a pissing contest on the dimensions of class delta.

I took my FAA test prep home recently, but I believe the FAA has 2 sources that say 2 different things, one says 4.4 nm, the other says 4. I wouldn't start a pissing contest on the dimensions of class delta.
not much of a pissing contest when those are the facts, if you want to get really technical class D is individually tailored to the area when instrument procedures exist. so yes, there may be class D that is 5NM (as opposed to SM) but the only time SM is really used with reference to aviation is in weather conditions.

please feel free to correct me by showing me both sources the FAA has published.

Back